Better to get married in Thailand?

Does someone have any advise if it makes sense to marry the gf in Thailand instead of in Europe?

Someone might even think I should have learned my lesson already as I was married once here in Europe and better not do the same mistake again. Cause having 2 kids and having to pay for them for the next 20 years and of course delivering a nice share of my income every months to my ex-wife.

But having a good job gives me still the possibility to have a good life and a TGF. I support her since 2 years and she is doing well all the time - I am pretty happy with her (besides the times I have to stay in Europe without her).

If I marry her here in Europe and we have to divorce later I have to fear to lose to much money - nowadays ex-wifes have their ex-husbands really at their balls and squeeze all money out of them.

Is there a difference when I marry in Thailand and later have to split? ::

Cheers, Ede

KPT,

I don't know about Eurpoe but I think it also matters in the states where you were married and where you claim as your residence in the states when you do get married, even if out of the country. I wonder how this goes in Europe as well. Might be best to check that out for himself. May vary according to what country he is in in EU. As for the pre-nup, recently a ruling was made by a judge in the states against a perfectly valid pre-nup. Something about the poor lass didn't really understand her rights and the consequences of signing the agreement. It's all up in the air now exactly how valid your pre-nup might be. I'd imagine a Thai lass could later claim she didn't understand the agreement and get it voided with a good divorce lawyer by her side. If bringing a Thai lady to marry inside the states residence and where you get married (which state)also can make a difference if getting a divorce later. I suppose some of our EU members might have some thoughts on this for the OP to consider.

Cent

Cent,

I don't think it does matter in the US where you were married. That is why in the days when grounds for divorce were more restricted in many states, people would go to Reno for an easy divorce. Nevada divorces were applicable to all marriages and recognized everywhere. It could be different in Europe and Edewolf should indeed check it out carefully. But I think that nations invariably recognize foreign marriages. Where they differ is in divorce practice.

As to a prenup it goes without saying that both sides must have legal representation and that a foreigner should have professional translation so that the rights of both are clearly represented. As with any other contract, good ones are upheld and the poorly executed ones may be challenged successfully.

There are some times where there is just no practical alternative to a lawyer.

Khun Pad Thai

KPT, C: thank's, that already helps.

But can't imagine that we haven't got any (ex-) EU nationals in the forum who have gone through divorces be it in their home country but preferable in Thailand. Their experience would be very welcome.

Bye for now.

Ede

My understanding is that you will not be forced to pay maintinance to a non EU resident wife if you are living in the EU. This means that it is safe to marry her (preferably in Thailand) provided you do not intend to live with her for more than six months in the EU.

If you do not marry her you are free to live with her anywhere so why restrict yourself. The only thing you can do married that you cannot do in a single state is get divorced, so I do not see the advantage myself.

Point this out. If she still insists on getting married then you know she is planning divorce. Beware.

>> If you do not marry her you are free to live with her anywhere so why restrict yourself <<

If I don't marry her then I cant live with her in the EU because she always needs to have a visa for staying here. If I'm lucky then we'll get a 3 months visa, then she needs to stay 3 months in Thailand again, then perhaps we get a 3 months visa, then ...

Additionally she doesn't have a work permit with the 3 months visa!

Conclusio: if I want to stay with her long term in the EU and want her to be able to work then the only way is to marry her. Because then she is immediately allowed to stay long term AND is allowed to work.

As I have no connections (social network) in Thailand I find it more or less impossible to find an appropriate job in Thailand that can bring enough money to guarantee her and me a good life there and still allows me to (financially) take care of my kids. Or do you know of a job where I can make 200.000 Baht a month? ::

Ede

BB,

that's interesting. I will check the local legislation again and will get back if I can find something.

What did you have to provide to your local authorities to show that you have a cohabitation?

Does Belgium have yearly contingents for foreigners who want to settle in the country? Does your situation fall under this rule?

Is your gf allowed to work?

Is her visa permanent or you have to renew it regularily?

Sorry for the wave of questions.

Cheers, Ede

Ede,

that's interesting. I will check the local legislation again and will get back if I can find something.

-> or PM me as well. AFAIK Belgium, Holland and Denmark has the kind of visa

What did you have to provide to your local authorities to show that you have a cohabitation?

-> the reular stuff, a signed garantee, a proof of me being single, residence of address, but most importangly proof of long relation with me GF, we provided pics, copy of her passport and mine showing she was here 3 times previously and me 8 times in LOS during our relation, plus all required docs from her side...

Does Belgium have yearly contingents for foreigners who want to settle in the country? Does your situation fall under this rule?

-> no and no

Is your gf allowed to work?

-> yes

Is her visa permanent or you have to renew it regularily?

-> first time its valid for 6 months, then renewed yearly for one year. but after 5 years residency, she can apply for citizenship, which she will do. The 5 r=years is reduced to years if married.

Sorry for the wave of questions.

-> dont worry, thats what we are here for....

BB

from snowy Eurpoe

Archived