Better to get married in Thailand?

Hi BB,

checked with my government - result as expected:

they don't accept cohabitation!

if my gf wanted to stay with me (without being married to me) then she

1. needs to prove that she has assets of min. 25.000 Euro (!) which can cover her living costs,

2. is not allowed to work AND

3. currently needs to wait 3-5 years because we only let a small number of foreigners into our nice country per year.

:: :: :: :: :: :: ::

ciao, ede

You're absolutely correct about prenuptual agreements.

BTW, I'm also from the Boston area. My divorce was in Massachusetts, one of the worst States to get divorced in ...

I got royally shafted!

In LOS I think it depends upon the status of the wife and her family. If you marry into a poor family, and the marriage later ends in divorce, it's most likely that she won't have access to an attorney at all.

[color:"red"] [color:"red"] [/color] [/color] Read below for a Private

Dancer Alert [color:"red"] [/color] :: :: ::[color:"red"]

edewolf2001 said:

Does someone have any advise if it makes sense to marry the gf in Thailand instead of in Europe?

Someone might even think I should have learned my lesson already as I was married once here in Europe and better not do the same mistake again. Cause having 2 kids and having to pay for them for the next 20 years and of course delivering a nice share of my income every months to my ex-wife.

But having a good job gives me still the possibility to have a good life and a TGF. I support her since 2 years and she is doing well all the time - I am pretty happy with her (besides the times I have to stay in Europe without her).

If I marry her here in Europe and we have to divorce later I have to fear to lose to much money - nowadays ex-wifes have their ex-husbands really at their balls and squeeze all money out of them.

Is there a difference when I marry in Thailand and later have to split? ::

Cheers, Ede

if u are from america, better to marry lady in Thailand, that way your are not uder u s jurisdiction; less rights for the lady if a divorse happens.

If you marry in LOS she looses her right to own land here( have not checked lately)... good luck!!

bigal said:

if u are from america, better to marry lady in Thailand, that way your are not uder u s jurisdiction; less rights for the lady if a divorse happens.

If you marry in LOS she looses her right to own land here( have not checked lately)... good luck!!

That is only true if your residence is outside the USA. If she comes to live in the USA then State divorce laws apply.

She can own land but the amount of land is limited.

bigal,

Depends where the divorce action is filed - that's where the jurisdiction resides. Where the marriage took place is not relevent.

Also, a Thai woman married to a non-Thai does not lose her right to own land in Thailand.

Grabii

bigal said:

• 1 month later...

so we have quite a few contradictory statements regarding place of marriage matters vs. only place of divorce filing does?

Also regarding right to own land for thai wife if married to farang?

Some say can own less land others say no change & then again I have heard about farang have to sign paper that he cant inherit her land in case of her death whatever?

anyone really knows current legislation?

Archived