Living in shanghai - how much money needed ?

dsab

don' t agree! shanghai has a high percentage of migrants from other provinces. so more and more, Putonghua (Mandarin) is developping as the common language in opposite to Shanghainese as the language for the people who were there over generations.

i would really focus to learn mandarin and not any local dialect. today in china with the exception of illiterates and elderly people in hongkong, everybody understand mandarin!

buffalo_bill said:

Thaihome,

I have several Taiwanese friends who live in Shanghai part of the year ; your figures are way above what they have to spend and they are no cheap charlies. Obviously , there are alternatives.

BuBi

You misread my post, I never said that is what you have to spend, I was merely relaying what my company pays for expats assigned to Shanghai. Obviously, mandarin speaking Taiwanese would be able to live much cheaper, of course they would have to, as it is unlikely their company would pay anything near what I mention as the allowances my company pays.

I still maintain, that for western standard accommodations in downtown Shanghai, you will pay close to USD5k a month.

TH

ThaiHome said:

I still maintain, that for western standard accommodations in downtown Shanghai, you will pay close to USD5k a month.

for a >200 sqm condo/apartment in a new high end building with all top facilities?

so what would be in your opinion the multiplication factor for accommodation prices in comparison to Bangkok? 3 times?

today in china with the exception of illiterates and elderly people in hongkong, everybody understand mandarin!

Fair point, Samak, but having the other party understand *you* is only one half of communication. The point has been made before that dialect even plays a part in Bangkok, where the locals have problems understanding some of the Northern Thai people. Personally, I'd just use whatever phrases I could pick up, regardless of whether or not they were the 'official' language. When in Rome .....

samak said:

so what would be in your opinion the multiplication factor for accommodation prices in comparison to Bangkok? 3 times?

No, Shanghai is about double from Bangkok. My housing allowance in Bangkok is 100k baht (USD 2,500) a month. For that I can get a big condo downtown or a house in Nichada.

TH

dsab, good luck with your move.

I contemplated a move to Taipei within the last year, and have to tell you that I was stuck by the difference between the coolness of the residence of Taipei (to put it mildly) compared to the warmth of Thais. It was quite a shock for me. It sounds like you will find a stretch in Shanghai to be an enriching experince, but I'll bet you find yourself missing Thailand within a couple of days of arriving.

Have fun while you are there!

Thanks for all the Informations and good wishes. My wife just accepted the offer, I quit my job (that was the worst part) and we are already into organizing everything.

We will fly over next week to get a better pix, to decide where to live etc.

So many things to get done in BKK as well, without even thinking about all the things we will have to do in Shanghai.

She will start her job over there on the 18th of April. Anyone ever been a house-husband? Any ideas what to do all day. The scariest thought is that I might be bored to death. Still hoping about landing some kind of job.

Maybe you will find a job, but not to worry as long as you move into a place that supports a wideband internet connection.

This will be an excellent time to take those Mandarin classes you were thinking about. You could spend as much time as you wanted to on that!

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

dsab,

I envy you lots!!!

almost landed a shanghai contract last year & though if bringing the TGF over for some master studies...

however it never materialised, but I at least have been there on biz a few times & even it in no way compares to bkk I'd say it's up there with the big 5 - i.e. bkk,sin,jkt,sao paulo!!!

also I don't think you'd get too bored as the place is crawling with attractive shaghainese(try to steer clear of the mongolians!) not too mention getting to grips with the lingo, food, sheer size of metro area etc.

sanuk somewhat limited if used to gogo's, bar beers, MP's etc.

it's more hidden & need to be actively seeked, but I think you'll be fine & probably ain't a 100% butterfly after all ;)

p.s. crash999 made a similar move bkk->sha last year so you may wanna try PM him if he's still around?

• 1 month later...

If you love Shanghai half as much as I do, then I'll have twice as much fun as you. Seriously, Shanghai is a great place. Sometimes the air pollution is terrible but, what the heck, you get terrific sunsets! As a house-husband, you can spend your time learning Mandarin; there are a lot worse things to do in life. I may be interviewing with Dell computer to work in their design center located in Shanghai, and I'm champing at the bit.

Archived