Buying a beer bar

Redbaron

What I find funny is that seemingly well educated men, that had respectable occupations, possible career success; worked in countries where they recieved the benefits of social welfare programs, empolyment benefits and worker protection laws are reduced to making their money off of prostitution related businesses in LOS.

Relax guys just an observation, no moral judgement on my part. I am after all a willful party in the purchase of prosttitution services.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JJ,

>>>>>What I find funny is that seemingly well educated men, that had respectable occupations, possible career success; worked in countries where they recieved the benefits of social welfare programs, empolyment benefits and worker protection laws are reduced to making their money off of prostitution related businesses in LOS.<<<<<

Well..... it must be a hell of a lot more fun than being an insurance actuary, you have to admit. :):p

Gathering around the office water cooler, and having a beer at Angelwitch, are just not comparable. :grinyes:

I can see their point! You only live once.

HT

Too right. I was an investment banker, largely as an expat and with considerable benefits. Now I own a couple of beer bars in Pattaya and a couple of other LOS based investments and will shortly be making some acquisitions in the residential and commercial property market.

No way will I receive the same income I once had but then I don't have to get up at 5am or wear a suit or answer to anyone. I just get on with my days, have a beer when I feel like one, live in the sun and just kick back and enjoy life.

I could of course have worked for another 20 years (I'm 35) and put a few more million in the bank but what the fuck for ? The answer is of course, to be able to do exactly as I do now !!!!!!!!

torrenova said:

After you have made your first trip to Thailand and ventured on down to Pattaya and seen the lay of the land, you'll realise how ridiculous such a statement is.

To take it one step further and such a clause were applicable, what the fuck are you going to do when, as you say, I take my punters and leave, opening a new bar next door ? Who are you going to complain to ? TIT for double sure mate.

ROTFLOL...my first trip to Thailand (which included a trip to Pattaya) was probably about the time you were just learning how to jack off.

As for the rest, are u saying there is no contract law in the LOS and that contracts are unenforceable ?

Hugh (mak)

TC sells Cathouse and 2 months later, he buys Boss Hogg's bars. Sets up the same operation he had upstairs. Takes his loyal clientele and staff and concept from the new owner of Cathouse. Setting a time-limit for re-entry into the biz or a territorial perimeter only makes good sense.

You're dreaming. Loyal staff, and concept? In Los? 5555555

You're living in a different world, my friend. You're trying to apply Western rules and ethics to an Asian culture. Citicorp there might be able to fanagle such a deal with DuetchBank, but a beerbar??? :) Now that is funny! ::

Torranova might have been jacking off less as long as you have, but he sure as hell knows the territory better than yourself.

Listen, and learn. A key to acquiring intelligence, much needed to engage in intelligent and reasonable discourse. :p

HT

I find torrenova's comments about the bar biz to be level-headed and interesting as he actually does it and does it successfully.

Also, unlike many expat bar operators in LoS, he comes from a biz background. A lot of the others came from building trades and their main experience with bars is from drinking in them and thinking all they had to do was open the door and count the money. These are the guys wh are now selling at a loss to the next plasterer/painter/navvy.

Not an answer to either of my questions, HT. Torrenova's reply that it was a "silly" question. I was curious to know the answer and that is why I asked him and TC if they participated in one. Apparently Torrenova did not...up to him, but for a guy who supposedly knows business (albeit only "multi-billion dollar takeovers), I was amazed that he apparently has no idea that much smaller privately-owned businesses DO make such agreements as part of sales. And it isn't as though Thailand has not borrowed some of their laws from other countries and applied them to Thailand. I wouldn't buy a beer bar under any conditions I can think of off hand, so I really am not too concerned...only interested. Seems nobody has even tried it (and maybe caught off-guard by the question?) I would see it as one of the ways an invester in such a business can protect himself. Sure, you can't make the staff and whores stay when the old owner leaves, but an agreement prohibiting the former owner from pimping his same troops across the soi seems like it would be called for. If the seller can't agree to that, I'd certainly walk away from the deal. The only other way to approach the sale is the way another poster said: assume you are purchasing a lease...and nothing else. So-called goodwill/reputation would be IMO worth nothing in the absence of such an agreement.

And I take it back, Torrenova had probably yet to know the difference between boys and girls when I first went to Pattaya :)

Hugh (mak)

Archived