Xmas trip day 5. CHRISTMAS

rovineye

I wake up to subtle urgings of my date. But this time I think she is still asleep. I wake her up and we have a nice cultural exchange (OK VTOM?). We shower and lazily get ready for Christmas dinner at Bourbon St. Date wants to run down to 77/11 to get chicken shooters (anybody know the name of those things?). I am waiting for my Christmas shirt that date gave to someone late last night to have ready by noon. I should give date a small gift for Xmas. Gum won’t do it. But I do have two copies of Thai For Lovers book. I also always carry a sheet of gift wrap and some tape strips. I write merry Xmas on the inside of the cover, and wrap it up. What will date make of this book?

Shirt arives and Date comes back with chicken shooters. No coffee! She brings me big Chang beer X4. Not exactly my drink of choice for breakfast. But it has a ribbon on it and she says merry Christmas. What the hell. Just like college. I give her the book, which in a typical Thai way, does not open it but thanks me with a kiss. I go in and shave and brush my teeth etc. I come out and she is now reading the book, all wide eyed and dropped jaw. I don’t think she likes the book. But wrong, she tells me how wonderful it is and where did I get this? She has a thousand questions about mostly the sex terms and polite introductions. When I am ready to leave I can’t tear her away from the book.

But we make it to Bourbon St. for a very nice lunch with some nice folks. Drank a few pitchers of beer, and didn’t over eat. Food is good. Date is talking to the very nice Thai girls sitting next to us. A good time is had by all. The owner of Living room invites us over for a drink afterwards. The 6 of us at our table decide to do that. We all wonder if we can possibly fit into one taxi. Date says no problem. In BKK can take one motor bike. We take a taxi. The driver looks distressed, says not legal, continually looks out his door at the suspension, but goes anyway. Why I let anyone talk me into taking a taxi on SKHMVT I will never know. We all bail out and walk due to lack of progress. I tip the driver well.

We play pool and generally carry on. Living room’s GB buys us several rounds and has too keep bringing more because he says the bartender hasn’t quite made the coffee shooter correctly. After quite a while I am feeling very buzzed and gotta move. Merry Christmases all around and we head out into the early evening. There is a band playing on Soi 13 (maybe) and a lively beer garden. We drink and dance to excess. We then wander to some other bar (blue something where there are lots of pool tables). Date gets me a bottle of whiskey ( her paying!). Why I ask? She says I not see you dunk. Want to see. I can handle my alcohol quite well, and feel safe with her. OK date. After about ½ the bottle (she is drinking too) I am plowed. She wants to go to NEP. She has never been. Well it all gets vague from here. I remember a go go, and playing 8 across (everyone else was playing 4 across), and don’t know where or for how long. I kind of come to and we are at a street vendor getting chicken wings. I am already holding a bag of fried grasshoppers (where the hell did they come from?). and are walking back to the hotel. When we get to the room the electronic key won’t work. I stumble to lobby and get another. No luck. Yes, this is my room. I call security and they come with a key that won’t open the door. He calls another guy, a suit, that shows up with key. It doesn’t work either. Another guy shows without a key but tries the key the others had with no luck. They all take turns trying keys. I am starting to really crack up over this. Somehow without laughing, I ask the guy apparently in charge, if I can try. They all hand me the three keys and I try them all. I look very puzzled at them, and they all keep trying. I am laughing too hard now. Date is hollering thru the door for Chalerm to open up. Manager laughs at this. All three guys look uncomfortable, like they are just knowing I am going to burst into some tirade, as they look my way frequently. Date and I go around the corner because she is laughing now too. She pulls full flask of whiskey out my pocket and we drink (and where the hell did THAT come from?). A guy with a machine with wires coming out shows up. This looks better. But no. Finally a guy with tools takes the lock apart and we are in. The manager joins us in some Chang beer while a new lock is put on. They finally get it done.

We eat bugs (phet phet), chicken, and some fruit. Very nice. Date reads book while I pack to leave tomorrow. She loves that book! She goes into shower as I put the suitcases by the door. I knock the garbage can over with the suitcase. I pick it up but notice something on the bottom. It is a big wad of baht stuck under a part of the wicker. I pull it out and it also has a credit card receipt but it is totally unreadable and water stained. There is over 6000 baht there! Stuck there by someone to hide from a girl but then was too drunk to remember? That’s my guess. How long ago? Something more sinister? Probably not. Before they had room safes? Before ATMs, hence the credit card receipt? How many maids had this relative fortune in their hands but never tipped the can over far enough to see? Who knows, but merry Christmas to me.

The rest of the night was quiet intimacy, and a long time reading out of the book. Anyone ever wondering what to get a bar girl for a gift, if she can read, get her that book! You can not go wrong. Not only a bar girl, but any intimate. I had two, and neither made it home with me. Again. I just got 3 more copies for next trip (well, 1 is staying home this time!).

I lay there trying not feel guilty. I am with a bar girl tonight, and by tomorrow evening I will be with the girl I love in Chiang Mai. Will this be my last night of carousing in BKK? I know this will be discussed with tii rak in Chiang Mai. If it turns out to be, that’s OK. Maybe even better that way. Time will tell and it won’t be resolved here, tonight, my last night in BKK.

laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by rovineye:

...............It is a big wad of baht stuck under a part of the wicker. I pull it out and it also has a credit card receipt but it is totally unreadable and water stained. There is over 6000 baht there! Stuck there by someone to hide from a girl but then was too drunk to remember? .........

laugh.gif" border="0

That probably explains where some of those unaccounted for thousands went on my first trip. I was always hiding my cash in the strangest of places in the drunk wee hours while lady takes her shower.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived