Degree from Thailand

Zaad

Hi S_Snowdrop,

In short.. if my girl and I decide to move back to Holland someday she'll be forced to study both the Dutch language and 2 additional years to her field of study (dentistry) in order the make her Thai degree equivalent to a Dutch degree.

As it is now her degree is what they consider 'almost-equivalent' thus not accepted for work(permits) etc.

Note though that if differs depending on country (where degree is obtained), destination, university and field of work.

Goodluck!

snowdrop

In Australia your Thai degree will not be recognised but it doesn't meant that is not worth anything.

You would have to do a bachelors degree before you can do a masters.

Your English seems okay to me.

Have you taken the IELTS exam or TOEFL?

If you have sufficient score you can then apply for a university degree in Australia.

You are bored in the desert so what i would do is try and enrol in a distance degree from an Australian University as a

foreign student. You could then study for your degree and give yourself something meaningful to do. That way you will not consider your stay in the desert in such a negative light.

Go for it.

It might make a difference to some HR (Human Resources) departments and hiring managers, and probably won't make a difference at all for many others. Some hiring managers look at the individuals rather than the label. The degree will be needed to get past the clerks in HR departmetns and the head hunters, but it is unlikely that many of them know the difference between a degree from Thailand or one from Germany.

So, yes, it may make a difference, but if you know your stuff, it would only mean a slightly reduced scope of opportunites. Then again, remember a Stanford MBA might scare off some small, poorly funded startups. It works both ways.

>>In Australia your Thai degree will not be recognised but it doesn't meant that is not worth anything.

My Thai degree will not be recognized in US too I believe.

This is the truth that I have to accept, haven?t I? By the way, my friend got her bachelors degree in business from ABAC. She applied for a master degree (online) in the university in Australia and they accepted her degree. She is studying for her master now. I think ABAC is accredited university for the west.

>>You would have to do a bachelors degree before you can do a masters.

Before I thought my bachelors degree was okay to apply for the master. No clue that it doesn?t? work. What is a waste :banghead: the time in the university and work experience. I don?t think that I would like to get back and study computer science again. I have had it enough. To think in the positive side, I would have a chance to restart my life. Change my career, start something new. What is going to work for me in the future, I have to figure out.

>>Your English seems okay to me.

Only okay isn?t enough. I am still frustrated when I don?t understand some words or I can?t find correct words to express my feelings.

>>Have you taken the IELTS exam or TOEFL?

>>If you have sufficient score you can then apply for a university degree in Australia.

Not yet. I have planned to take TOEFL test this year. I hope I will be ready before September.

>>You are bored in the desert so what i would do is try and enrol in a distance degree from an Australian University as a foreign student. You could then study for your degree and give yourself something meaningful to do. That way you will not consider your stay in the desert in such a negative light.

Go for it.

I admit I am bored. Last year I went back to Thailand and worked there for a while. After a few months, my husband and I were realized that our marriage would be in a serious problem if we were still apart. It was difficult to maintain a long distance relationship.

Thanks a lot guys for listening and your advice. You are good psychiatrists :bow:

Now it?s time for me to sit and think seriously what I am going to do with myself. I can?t sit and wait for my husband to feed me. I feel useless, empty and no control over my life. I am getting older every year.

I am 30. I should be able to take care of my parents by now. This is my responsibility.

[color:"pink"] Bye?guys? [/color]

:wave:

The worth of your degree in seeking a job is different than that when applying for further education.

In the US, I'm sure they will discount your degree for work. If you are more than a couple of years out, your work experience will be much more of a factor than your degree. The US is not caught up in the paper factor that Thailand is unless your in IT. Then they'll ask for your certifications. gah.

Okay, for education, DO NOT get another bachelor's degree.

If you want to change careers, get an MBA. It's not hard. In the US, your current degree will allow you to enter a Master's program. I'd hazard a guess that your current degree will fulfill the undergrad requirements of most any MBA program.

If you do go the MBA route, you want to go to the best school you can get into, hopefully in the region you want to work in. The world graduates well over 1 million MBA students each year. The thing you really get with an MBA are the contacts you make while you study. That's what separates the top 20 programs versus all the others.

<<burp>>

Zorro said:

In Australia your Thai degree will not be recognised but it doesn't meant that is not worth anything.

You would have to do a bachelors degree before you can do a masters

What about all those Thai students studying a master's degree in Australia? Many of them have undergraduate degrees from Thailand.

Snowdrop: If you can get in a master's program that would probably be more worthwhile than studying for another bachelor's degree, but it would depend on exactly what you want to study.

If you want to study a master's degree in Australia you will need a degree from a "good" Thai university. For public universities, I know Thai students from Chula, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Mahidol, Chiang Mai, or Khon Kaen that have gone to study to a master's degree in Australia.

However, you would usually need a GPA of at least 3 from your B.S degree in Thailand and be able to get at least 6 on an IELTS test. You should probably have a look at the IDP Thailand website.

Hell I have a BS in IT with a great GPA and I still can't find a job. I think even undergrad degrees are starting to become discounted nowadays. Now a grad degree is what gets you more looks from companies. Which sucks.

Dinkas: Thanks a lot for your information.

My GPA and university are fine following your mention.Somehow, what I am going to study isn't clear.

Two choices in my mind...a bachelor's degre in Tourism and hospitality management or a master's degree in IT. I have to think about it.

BTW, why can't American, Australian and British use the same standard English test? :dunno:

<< BTW, why can't American, Australian and British use the same standard English test? >>

Because all three are slightly different, though mainly only in the written form. And since the uni exams are written, well ... that explains it. Also, the school systems are somewhat different, though in recent years they are getting more alike.

As to degrees being recognised, a degree from any of the top Thai universities (Thammasat, Chula, Mahidol, Kaset, Chiang Mai etc) will most certainly be accepted for further studies. But note that there are differences even between say the US and the UK in fields such as law (4 years plus 3 in the US, 4 or 5 in the UK). Also, a Thai MD requires less study than in the US.

A big factor to consider is where you want to work. A Thai degree is very useful if you want to work in Thailand. It may not be so useful in the west. I asked my BBA students in an international programme why they studied here and not in the west. The answer was networking: in business in Thailand, you HAVE to know people. Thus they would do their BBA here and then get their MBA in the west. That way they had covered both ends.

As to tourism and hospitality, it's probably the same. Graduate say from Naresuan University in it here and you'll find a job here. But it might be harder to find an equivalent job outside of Thailand.

A possibility you may not have thought of are the joint programmes offered by some Thai universities now. You study the first 2 years in Thailand, then go to the US/UK/Canada or wherever to finish. When you graduate you get matching degrees -- one from the Thai university and one from the western.

Flashermac: Thank you very much.

I realize that Thai degree isn't very useful for a job out side Thailand. My husband has no plan to live in Thailand. We may end up living in England/Canada or Singapore.

Since I live in the middle-east at the moment, I have to study via online or distance education. I am going to enquire information from some universities in Australia/US.

I think,either TOEFL score or IELTS score are accepted in some Australian universities.

:wave:

Archived