Bangkok attacks planned

Mentors

THE NATION

Militant group helping unit formed by Afghanistan war vets in South; Bangkok attacks planned, says US expert

A world expert on terrorism in Southeast Asia has warned that the government’s poor understanding of terrorists could help spur violence in the country’s deep South. He also warned of moves among the terrorists to bring their bombing campaign directly to Bangkok.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this too. It will either backfire miserably which will make matters worse on the people living in the south or TRT will be pressured into making concessions which will further the popularity of the political parties who run against them.

My vote is that the south will be in big trouble. They think that they are being treated with an iron fist now...

This will also damage the tourist industry even more if attacks take place. I remember in June 03 that an al qaeda operative had planned to blow up NEP but was caught before he could do it. The scary thing was the night he wanted to blow it up I was there.

I said in a post about 5 months ago they they actually have tried bombing in BKK several times already.I live in Klongsan and the policemen who work at the large police station about 125 yards from my condo found 4 large unexploded bombs surrounding the perimeter of the station. They were diffused and the entire affair was usherd up. This is not rumor or hearsay. It happened about 4 days AFTER the massacre during the protest last fall when all of the people died on the trucks going to the police camps. That would have woken my ass up. :::: :(

Yes. With Tasksins new policy of cutting of all government aid/help from "red" (terrorist) town/villages in the south, it may actually create additional insurgents from those displaced residents.

The south is a serious situation. The insurgents are looking to breakaway from Thailand to set-up their own state/country (Patani). They state historical soverenty, saying that their lands were taken from them roughly 100 yrs ago. This vie for power vaguely reminds me of the underlying causes of the Israeli conflict.

It's a serious situation that should garner UN support. The problem is that Taksin refuses to acknowledge that the leaders of these organizations may have ties to other outside Terrorist organizations (Al-quiada, etc..) Hence, the inactivity of world organizations.

Watch this situation very closely. Without the correct handling of this situation, it will become a serious, protracted conflict. I just pray that Taksin and Thai-rak-Thai have the ability to handle this. If they were smart, they would utilize some of the US intelligence/special forces that are stationed in Thailand...

SiamIam

"If they were smart, they would utilize some of the US intelligence/special forces that are stationed in Thailand..."

Like the special forces have done a real good job in Iraq and Afghanistan?!

The situation in the south is indeed a powder keg but Thaksin seems to just be adding fuel to the fire. His tough guy approach has backfired and further pushed moderate Muslims into the arms of the extremists. There was a very good article by an ex Thai army general (who was stationed in the south) a few weeks back who strongly criticised the Thaksin approach and predicted serious consequences if the present hardline approach was not changed.

SiamIAm said:

The south is a serious situation. The insurgents are looking to breakaway from Thailand to set-up their own state/country (Patani). They state historical soverenty, saying that their lands were taken from them roughly 100 yrs ago

I find it rather peculiar that any Thai would want to set up a separate sovereign state. Particularly when one considers the great esteem that HM the King is held in. Not that I want to turn this into a monarchy debate as am conscious of board rules but surely if there is any desire to set up a separate state it can only be a minority of the people in that area agitating?

"surely if there is any desire to set up a separate state it can only be a minority of the people in that area agitating?"

From what I understand, it is a small majority of the Muslim (extremists) population that actively support the breaking away from Thailand.

The main insurgent organizations:

United Front for the Independence of Pattani [bersatu]

PULO - Pattani United Liberation Organization.

They continue to conduct propaganda campaigns by distorting facts to mobilize and convince the masses, especially Thai Muslims in the southern border provinces and in foreign countries, that the Thai Government has been oppressing the Muslim population. They have tried in every way to create rifts among the Thai Buddhists and Thai Muslims. They have disrupted the government's education program by attacking schools, harming and threatening the life and property of school teachers, coercing parents to stop sending their children to Thai schools, terrorizing and harming those who cooperate with the government authorities...

It's an extremely delicate situation for Taksin at this point. He needs to stifle this insertion ASAP without (if possible) causing too much pubic discomfort, thereby limiting the recruiting of other Muslims. Also, hopefully stop this without giving legitimacy to these organizations

It would truly be a shame for this to be drawn out for any length of time.

JMHO of course

(Moderator: Edit as you see fit)

Ineed this is a very tricky problem. Maybe they can relocate all the muslims in Thailand to those states, and all buhdists to the rest of Thailand. Then they can just cut them off. Sarcastic I know but, that is just about the only thing that would work. When you have a wacky cult like in the south there are few options. They will never stop. I think it is just a matter of time till they start attacking the north, and at that point I sense that it will become a blood bath for the south. Just as it is hard to piss off an average thai, once you cross the line they will come at you with unmerciful vengance. We all know about the "thai" way, they are tolerateing the muslims in country at this point. But once the tolerace is gone they will most likely do things the thai way. Recall several years back when a buch of burmise took that hospital hostage. Well the thais just went in guns a blazing. Killed some thais in the process but they "resolved" the problem in short order.

I think there will be an attack in BKK. They have tried on a couple of occasions but have been stopped. The only one that was publicized was the al qaeda one in 03. It was on the front page of The Bangkok Post. The guy was turned over to U.S. authorities and has since vanished from the earth.

I'm sure there have been several other attempts that have been covered up like jitagawn talked about.

As far as Thaksin and al qaeda go. He reminds me of J. Edgar Hoover when he claimed there was no mafia. Ignoring this issue is going to be a serious problem. I don't know what he is thinking but it will not go away.

As far using U.S. military and intelligence... Who says they aren't already using them? There is a lot that we are never told by our governments.

Archived