Is it safe to bring back software CD's

mongatu

I'm assuming that you have never had any problems with U.S. customs. I've been checked the last 4 times coming back from Thailand; twice in Honolulu and once in Detroit and once in LAX (all on Northwest Airlines). I have two large suitcases full of Thai handicrafts and one carry-on and one shopping bag, so customs wants to see what I am bringing back and how much duty I owe (which is usually none). Three times, I have brought back either movies or software and they have never said anything. I don't make it easy for them to find in my luggage but they did once and never said a word about it. I think that at most, they might confiscate it but if you are just bringing one or two suitcases back, I doubt if you will even be stopped while walking through.

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

I travel with just carry on luggage and seem to get searched by customs pretty thorougly every other trip or so on average, but other than that, I have never had any problems with customs.

Good to hear that they actually found some software CD's and didn't seem to care about it. That is what I was hoping to hear, as I am assuming they would find them in my luggage. In fact, I suppose I should declare them on the customs form as they were acquired abroad.

Archived