What's the real risk?

Jimmy_S

My government is very careful about handing out visas to visitors from SEA, suspecting they may overstay and try and start a new live in the land down under.

Having helped with a visa successfuly, I am quite sure there will be tears when I push her back on the aeroplane, I'm not expecting her to do a runner, but I figure it happens, and probably to guys like me who don't think it will.

Has anyone had this happen to them, or know someone who has, and can tell me what happened? I'm not interested in 3rd or 4th hand horror stories.

It this a real concern?

Jim ::

How did you 'help with the visa'? A letter of support? A bond as well? Your place used as her intended address in 'Oz on her application?

I don't know a damn thing, but I doubt it's of 'real concern'. If she does a runner, I imagine they'll probably come a knockin'. It may not help you in any other potential future 'support' instances though.

As I said, I know fuck all :). In my GF's case I had no doubt she would go back (unhappily) as planned last month, but I had her passport & ticket since her arrival as she didn't want to look after it and she never needed it during her stay. I just gave them back to her on the last day. I'm not suggesting you steal her passport!

Cheers

Just the standard letter of support and yes she will be staying with me.

I don't really think she will flee, otherwise I wouldn't have supported her trip. The question was more what happens if she did?

We have travelled OS before, I've always kept her passport with mine in the hotel safe, she's never wanted to know the code. I have a safe here and as a matter of course will keep all valuable item there whilst she is here.

Having a passport wouldn't slow someone down, would it?

Jim.

The main thing I can see if she did do a runner would be how Immigration would look at you. Say later on you wanted to bring another girl here, they might refuse based on your involvement with a runner. Secondly, say she got arrested for prostitution or some other work violation, they might want to question you as to your involvement which would be a hassle, and weigh against you in the future should you want to sponsor another one...

Archived