Anybody tried the Rosetta Stone in the yellow box?

steffi

Has anybody tried the Personal edition of Rosetta Stone Thai?

Rather than post a link here if you go to Amazon and search for "Rosetta Stone Thai" you'll find the product I'm talking about.

Just wanted to know if folks had an opinion on the amount of Thai that can be learnt from this.

You used to be able to find the full version in Panthip Plaza, but I haven't seen it for some time there. (Panthip is no longer what it used to be! Poor choice of software these days.)

From what I've seen of the Rosetta Stone CDs, they are great for practice if you already know some Thai. Good vocabulary building and listening practice. But they are not much on the conversation side.

• 2 months later...

Basically, it's very good listening practice. The speech is at normal speed, so you can get used to listening to it. Also, it is good practice if you are learning to read. I wouldn't consider the Rosetta Stone series a complete course in itself, but it is quite useful if you already know a bit.

The version I snaged at Panthip has 22 lessons, apearto be all in sequence.

Does your version have any more than that ?

Allso anyone with a full version their not using anymore and want to sell ?? :D

JaiGuruDev said:

Picked up a copy of Rosetta Stone Thai Explorer at Pantip and fired it up. It's not the full-blown Rosetta Stone version, but it's not bad for the price.

For someone just starting out, it's a good way to learn a few things.

• 4 months later...
Flashermac said:

Basically, it's very good listening practice. The speech is at normal speed, so you can get used to listening to it. Also, it is good practice if you are learning to read. I wouldn't consider the Rosetta Stone series a complete course in itself, but it is quite useful if you already know a bit.

I think even a rank beginner can make some pretty good progress with it. And if it can be found at a discounted price, it's worth the baht.

But you're right, it does a much better job with listening and reading than speaking and writing. Although the latest version (2.0) does have a typing section, which is interesting. I believe the version I saw at Pantip was 1.4.2.

Pom_Jao_Choo said:

The version I snaged at Panthip has 22 lessons, apearto be all in sequence.

Does your version have any more than that ?

No, my version has only the first two units (about 22 or so lessons). The full package has a dozen or so units (92 lessons).

My take is that Rosetta Stone is doing a good job helping to improve my reading, listening, and vocabulary. I try to speak along with the program, so maybe that's improving also.

If I'm still with Rosetta Stone after two units, I'll buy the full package. Even at that steep price, I think it's well worth it.

But it takes work. If one wants to learn Thai, they gotta put the hours in.

Well my mom always told me that if it's for studying I can spend as much as I like on learning materials. :)And I agree with her thinking. If it were simply for amusement I might have to consider again. Luckily Thai study falls in both categories.

I will definetley be considering the purchase when the time comes.

I was wondering, did you ever have a go with the voice recording functions ? Were you able to coax out any simular results to what they show their control group doing ?

I didn't really put that much time into it but was not really impressed with myself.

Archived