Huge quake hits Indonesian coast

maninbkk

Just appeared on the BBC news web site, an earthquake off the Indonesian coast. One just hopes that this does not have such an impact on the already devastated regions.

A powerful earthquake in the Indian Ocean has hit the coast of Indonesia's tsunami-hit island of Sumatra, triggering a tsunami alert.

The quake was given a magnitude of 8.2 by the US geological survey who have warned it could cause tidal waves.

The epicentre was located at about 200 km (125 miles) off the mainland.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake could cause a "widely destructive tsunami" in the area around its epicentre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4388579.stm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a call from my daughter in BKK ( on her cell phone)

they were told to evacuater the condo. ( quake may hit in about 10 minutes)

lots of ppl on the street now (Bann Patumwan Condo

Phayathai Rd.)

anyone else heard anything?

how about the coastline on thailand?

Dear all,

I'm watching Sky news now (UK TV). They are reporting that the earthquake was felt in several counties. Buildings were shaking for up to a minute in Patong Beach.

Hopefully there will not be a Tsunami this time but we will know within the next hour or so.

At least this time there appears to be more awareness of the situation.

My friend's wife just phoned to say her family in Phuket Town are aware and its on Thai TV.

Best wishes to everyone in the effected area.

Regards

Peckieboy

Yeah the local Thai news is covering the event. People in the internet shop, I am currently are watching it on the shop televison while they are on their computers

All Thais here so there is a little chatter with the word Tsunami being thrown around but no one seems to be that concerned beyond making a comment or 2 about it.

Seems that the likelihood of a Tsunami is quite low as the epicentre of the quake is land based (island of Nias) rather than sea-based. Next 3 hours are critical though....

The live feed (Sky News) at the moment shows the streets of Bangkok....Err Why ?

This earthquake while big is over 100 meters underground (Unlike the last one which was close to the surface)and WILL NOT deform the seabed enough (if at all) to cause a tsunami (deformation of the seabed is what causes the wave).

The warnings while prudent are in all likelihood simply a precaution. If you have loved ones, or Real-estate in the coastal areas, I wouldn't be too concerned...

siamIam,

good info there. seems much more knowledable than cnn etc.!

even 8.7 on the scale the important difference about near land & deep under sea surface seems to be what makes this one virtually harmless apparently.

small sketchy reports about minor waves southward & of course earthquake damage at epicenter (nias islands).

ain't it just typical that once awareness is there like it seems to be this time around nothing serious happens & already next major quake people wouldn't even lift an eyebrow :(

Archived