Huge quake hits Indonesian coast

maninbkk

I read in the BKK Post about those warning towers being built a couple of weeks after the tsunami- apparently, a guy stands there with binoculars and watches for waves. No shit!

I really want to hear how well the system worked for this one.

Knowing the 1st quake was a, like, once in 500 year event, they probably thought they could, as usual, put up their "Hollywood set" warning system- i.e., it looks like the real thing, but does nothing.

I'm sure they didn't think it might have to be tested during their lifetime- SURPRISE!

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Asswipes.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good info here.

Looks like it was right down the street, geologically speaking, from the Xmas quake.

Just last night, I was talking to the GF about taking some holiday in Phuket in April. She said she was scared of ghosts and earthquakes. I assured her that the quakes will probably never happen again.

I wonder how the government will spin this one? It will probably kill the Asian tourism base there.

Another report:

Hundreds die in Indonesian earthquake

09:49 AEDT Tue Mar 29 2005

(AP)

A powerful earthquake struck off Indonesia's west coast, killing nearly 300 people when their homes collapsed on them and sending panic across the Indian Ocean that another killer tsunami was on the way.

But fears of a second tsunami catastrophe in just over three months eased within hours as officials in countries at risk reported their coasts clear of the type of quake-spawned waves that ravaged a dozen countries in Asia and Africa on December 26.

All the deaths reported immediately after the quake at 11.15pm local time Monday (2.15am Tuesday AEST) were on Indonesia's Nias island, off Sumatra's west coast, which was close to the epicentre of the quake which was measured by the US Geological Survey at 8.7 magnitude.

In the town of Gunungsitoli, about 70 per cent of buildings had collapsed in the market district, officials said.

"Hundreds of buildings have been damaged or have collapsed," said Agus Mendrofa, the island's deputy district head.

He told el-Shinta radio station at least 296 people had died in Gunungsitoli.

The epicentre of the quake was 250km south-southeast of Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province on Sumatra, and more than 10km under the seabed of the Indian Ocean.

The US Geological Survey said the quake was an aftershock of the 9.0 quake on December 26 that sent giant waves crashing into Indian Ocean rim coastlines, killing up to 300,000 people in 11 countries.

More than 100,000 people are still missing and more than 1.5 million were left homeless after that quake and tsunami.

Japan has kept its tsunami warning in place for nations around the Indian Ocean, saying its tidal gauges in the region had detected a 25cm tsunami off Sri Lanka and a smaller one off the Maldives.

An official at Japan's Meteorological Agency said it was unclear if they could grow larger.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advised Australians in potentially dangerous areas to monitor local radio.

A spokeswoman said officials were monitoring events.

"The Australian embassy in Jakarta has been in contact with AUSAID contractors in Aceh who reported they are safe and well," she said.

The quake triggered tsunami warnings in at least three countries and widespread panic in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, the countries worst hit by the December 26 disaster.

As it became clear no tsunami was imminent, governments withdrew the warnings.

"It seems this earthquake did not trigger a tsunami," Prihar Yadi, a scientist with the Indonesia Geophysics Agency, said about three hours after the quake.

"If it had, the tsunami would have hit the coastline of Sumatra by now."

In Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province hardest hit on December 26, the quake cut electricity and thousands of people poured into the streets, most getting into vehicles to flee low-lying areas.

The panic gripped at least one camp in Banda Aceh where tsunami survivors have been living. An Associated Press photographer described thousands of people fleeing their tents at the camp known as TVRI.

Police with megaphones walked up and down the road, telling people not to panic and to return to their tents.

In Sri Lanka, warning sirens blared along the island nation's east coast and President Chandrika Kumaratunga urged people to evacuate immediately to higher ground.

The government later withdrew its tsunami warning.

Some people sought refuge in temples and churches while others simply stood on streets several kilometres away from the ocean terrified another tsunami would strike.

"It was like reliving the same horror of three months ago," said Fatheena Faleel, who fled her home with her three children after viewing the warning on television.

The quake was felt as far away as Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, more than 700km from the epicentre.

In Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur and Penang, fire alarms sent panicked residents fleeing their apartments and hotels.

In Singapore, residents of high-rise apartments felt the buildings sway.

Slight tremors were reported in the Thai capital of Bangkok, and officials issued a tsunami warning for residents in the country's south, where more than 3,000 died in December.

Officials said later the tsunami danger appeared to have passed.

at least nias is pretty bad set for any day soon tourism 'recovery' after being hit twice badly within 3 months & being in a less than 'peacefull' location apparently.

'luckily' aid is already there since last tsunami - sumatra that is.

as to LOS's 'magic' warning system - well it appeared to prevent a tsunami this time around didn't it?

"ain't it just typical that once awareness is there like it seems to be this time around nothing serious happens & already next major quake people wouldn't even lift an eyebrow"

Yup. That is what happened with the Dec 26th quake, they totally ignored it for fear that they would lose their jobs, and lose face if there was no tsunami...

The Thai appointed (minister?) to oversee these warnings was fired because he put out a tsunami warning in the 80's or early 90's and nothing happened. Apparently, there was such pressure put of the government from the shop owners who claimed they "lost tourism" due to the ensuing evacuation that they dismissed him...The Thai government then hired him back AFTER the last Dec 26th tsunami....Typical...He’s most likely the one who put out this warning...

Let’s see if there is any reaction from the shop owners this time...

Flashermac said:

Itronically enough, my Mrs told me that Thai scientists (or maybe it was maw doo) were predictiong a quake for the 13th or 14th. Either they were off by a couple of weeks or it was just coincidence.

The Thai Girl who lives with us was going to go back to LOS to visit family. Her Mum said not to come (this about a month ago) because there was an earthquake on the way. How spooky.

Cheers

Coss

'luckily' aid is already there since last tsunami - sumatra that is

Hi IB,

If I can inject a note of politics into this, there is a good case for the establishment of permanent foreign aid 'outposts' in Sumatra, but its the last thing the Indonesian military wants. They've already driven away certain foreign aid agencies post-Tsunami with their heavy-handed approach.

Cheers,

Artie

Here is an interesting article in today's BKK Post.

The Thai gov really did not expect that they would be tested again on this issue. Thaksin's announcements that a warning system is in place (that's the guy with binoculars on a 12 meter tower at Phuket for 8 million baht) and that the system was successfully tested compared with the reality of what happened after the most recent quake bears evidence that they are again talking out of their asses, bluffing and strutting and spewing words with no substance to back them up.

I ,love their new announcement that the "real" system will be operational in 2 weeks. I'd love to be a fly on the wall (not the flyonzewall :) ) and listen to the office talk. "Damn- tell them another 2 weeks. That should hold off the slobbering masses. Surely we won't have a THIRD event!"

The bit about the army-run station's announcer telling people not to worry because HE didn't think therewas a problem is incredible! :doah:

Archived