Soi Dogs

Zaad

I've seen the saddest dogs in the photo contest and some of them hardly look like a dog. Nowhere near recognizable and few characteristics a normal dog should have. Those poor bastards must have been through an awful lot to turn into such horrible state.

One poster begged to please shoot one of the dogs and those are my sentiments exactly.

If there's a reputable place to donate some money to put such dogs to sleep then let me know and I'll give some Baht.

I guess hoping for the Thai government to do something about such soi dogs other than sending them to Sakhon Nakhon is hopeless.

I hereby bless the soi dogs who were brave enough to pose and participate in the contest.

And, most likely, we have all seen worse. Are there any advocate oganizations, ie Humane Society, in the LoS? What gets me is that with Buddhism and its laizze faire concepts and the respect for all life the followers turn a blind eye to these pathetic canines. Something is out of sync here.:-(

Actually, I see a lot less manginess in the soi dogs than before. My own pix, i had to find in previous years, when such poor animals were a lot more ubiquitous.

Not sure if it has to do with the King's kind words towards some kind of decent treating of the canine homeless a couple years ago, could be, also, as Thailand middle-classes itself more profoundly, people adopt middle-class sensitivities towards animals.

PS: i am sorry to say some of the bums in my SF neighborood could compete easily with such wretches as we see on the gallery. And they do get their checks and other monies thrown at them for the asking.

There is an organization called Soi Dogs. They raise money to neuter female strays. The number of future soi dogs that are prevented by neutering just one female stray is sizeable.

I cannot recall where their website is (perhaps someone else knows), but they raise money by selling T-shirts at places like the Ploenchit Fair.

Gadfly1,

There is an organization called Soi Dogs. They raise money to neuter female strays. The number of future soi dogs that are prevented by neutering just one female stray is sizeable.

I cannot recall where their website is (perhaps someone else knows), but they raise money by selling T-shirts at places like the Ploenchit Fair.

If my dog happens to win, which I doubt, I'll forward it directly to such organization.

In a weird way, this is similar to the Terri S. right to die case.

We just have two different cultures who place values on different things and define them differently.

We view (most) it as cruel to let these dogs live while thais (most) view it as cruel if the dogs were put to sleep...

Different perspective on quality of life and what it even means to live or to die....

CB

Archived