Soi Dogs

Zaad

CB,

I don't want to kill them either (well, maybe at 3 or 4 a.m. when they start howling and wake me from a dead sleep!) I just want to get them nuetered and spayed and hope that these people maybe have a chapter here in Surin as well, or can at least set me onto who to talk with about this stuff for my own neighborhood. Yeah, different philosophies really, but there remains a problem here, and Thailand has one of the highest rates of rabies, in the dogs, and in the amount of people treated each year for rabies. There was an article in the Bangkok Post this past week saying how the government had spent like some millions/billions of baht on rabies cases in humans. My own dogs are given their shots, these other mutts are dangerous and rabies is something I don't want to get, along with my family and neighbors as well. (The article did mention as well that rabies can be contracted from eating infected dog meat.)

Cent

Cent,

in Cambodia (PP at least) no soi dogs are to be found and GF told me it's because they eat dogs over there and even there's an export of dogs from Thailand to Cambodia. 80-100 baht is the going rate. Your problem in Surin indicates to eating of dog meat isn't so big in Isaan. So maybe you should try to export some to Cambodia..... ::

elef

elef,

Tried that! There used be to be Khmer guys or Thai driving around asking people if they wanted to sell their dogs. Yep, 100 baht per dog was the offer. But now the Thai police will not let them do this, openly at least, and arrest these guys when they catch them with dogs in the truck. (Or fine them a mia noi fund fine, whatever.) I could make a thousand baht selling the soi mutts in my neighborhood! ::

Cent

Interestingly, soi dogs are not tolerated in my development. The 'village' has a wall around it (doesn't keep out thieves!), so the only way in is past security at the gate ... ah, should the guard be sleeping or distracted.

About 3 months ago several were in the village; and they were poisoned. Some point the finger at maintenance, others say a group of farang homeowners was responsible. The streets are soi dog free and kept clean.

... still damn noisy at times as most homeowners have dogs to deter thieves and evil spirits.

Archived