Hat Yai: Insurgents bid for independent state...

SiamIAm

"...so far the bombings have been confined to the region."

Yes but they have been moving north, the Hat Yai incident in proof of this. Here is an excerpt from today’s (4/6/05) BangkokPost:

"The Defence Ministry has admitted that separatist insurgents have extended their destructive reach into Satun and Songkhla provinces, as evident from Sunday's blasts in Hat Yai.

Defence Minister Thammarak Issangkura na Ayudhaya said the violence had spun beyond Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

''The separatists have advanced into Songkhla and Satun now. We have to be on our guard,'' he said.

Gen Thammarak said the separatists bombed the airport, Carrefour discount store and a downtown hotel in Hat Yai because the authorities had been increasingly efficient in suppressing insurgents in their traditional area of operations.

The authorities had ''retaliated swiftly against the insurgents and extra-judicially killed many of them''. The separatists struck Hat Yai as a reprisal against security forces ''over the loss of their comrades'', he said.

"It also means that if you try to remove the central command then the violence will get more random and widespread...."

How did you come to this conclusion? When they removed the leadership in these organizations (PULO factions) the violence stopped (for a few years anyway...).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that does sound like an escalation.

>"It also means that if you try to remove the central command then the violence will get more random and widespread...."

How did you come to this conclusion? When they removed the leadership in these organizations (PULO factions) the violence stopped (for a few years anyway...). <

Just an opinion. These organizations have a way of policing themselves. Seems to me if there is no central command you open the gates for anybody looking for revenge, personal vendettas, criminals etc.. I could be wrong. If you think more force is the answer that's OK. I just don't want to get blown up while I'm having a beer on Soi 4. Mai sanuk.

"I just don't want to get blown up while I'm having a beer on Soi 4. Mai sanuk."

You can say that again...It's kind of why I've been posting all this crap about the south, just to keep board members informed. I personally find it deeply troubling that this is happening in my own personal paradise (or is it hell?). I would HATE to see anyone on or off this board get killed in some politically driven bombing. It worries me because I've read where information was obtained that outlined attacks in Phuket (or koh Samui),Pattaya, and Bangkok, and specifically stated "western targets". Unless these people are stopped, I'm afraid it's only a mater of time before one of "our" areas is bombed...It scares/angers me even thinking about it.

BTW: Here is a translation of a propaganda leaflet from the deep south, courtesy of 2Bangkok.com:

http://www.2bangkok.com/south4.shtml

The source of this leaflet is apparently un-known, so I would keep that in mind when reading...

"It scares/angers me even thinking about it."

It only scares me when I think about it. So I don't. But I am interested in certain aspects....the limits of force for instance. The idea that events can all be controlled.

Getting bombed these days seems like more a question of 'wrong time wrong place'. The tsunami was much worse because I lost a few friends. Strangely I don't feel any personal anger about any of it. I guess I'm just a typical apathetic armchair coward. ::

Archived