Legit Volunteer work/org in BKK with work permit??

Hidy Ho

I'm thinking about spending about 3 months a year doing some sort of volunteer work, preferrably in BKK, LOS.

I don't care about being paid or housing.

However, in order to be totally legit in LOS, one needs to have work permit. If I'm volunteering my time, in return, I want to be legit (and truthfully, avoid border runs).

Very few places I know if BKK do not provide visa/work permit sponsorship. I tried google and came up with a bunch of "questionable" organizations.

Anyone have first hand experience/recommendation.

Ideally, I'd want the location to be in BKK .. and I have High Tech/Finance work experience. Also, My Engrish :D ain't bad ... I thunk.

Are you reading my post? ::

I KNOW about the work permit requirement for volunteer work ... the information I need/seek is regarding legit volunteer organizations that will sponsor the permit :banghead:

P.S. sorry to be rude, but I'm bumping my thread back to the top :yeahthat:

Hi Jazz, it's not easy, there are a lot of NGO's, but they are difficult to work with sometimes, a friend tried to go the legit way to help in some of the baby homes, in the end she gave up and "Volunteered" illegally!

The pain is for the NGO to apply is a lot of paper work, and sometimes they just dont want too unless they really need you.

Try going to them all. I dont know if there is a list of NGO's, but if there is I suspect the peole at the Foreign Corrospondance Club would have it!

DOG

I've only known two people who had short-term work permits.

One was doing 3-months at UNESCAP I believe. The other was a doctor doing 3-months of research.

If it's 3-months get a business visa. Just say you're doing research on setting up a company. Don't even need a letter from anyone over here (if you are applying in the States). Or a 60-day Tourist visa and get a 30-day extension.

I don't think they are going to black list you for doing volunteer work especially as they let that supposed "HIV" guy back in Thailand after getting kicked out for overstay violations.

<<burp>>

HI Jazz, as ND said, its not easy at all. I do not think the work permit regulations are relaxed at all, even when it is volunteer work, and so the paper work is a real hassle on the employers side. For three months, I think most would think it just not worth it.

I am meeting with a friend tomorrow who works for a NGO/Charity thingy here, and so will sound him out about the practicalities.

Maybe send me a PM about any real "selling points" you have, and I can drop them in, although, from what I understand of the stuff he is doing, Hitech/finance is not something he would have a lot of call for.

good luck anyway

josh

• 2 weeks later...
Jazz said:

come on y'all .. i'm looking for more concrete lead/info ...

Jazz... I understand your situation/predicament.

I did some volunteer work in Pangnga (Phuket) just after the tsunami...but as I went there with a large contingent of the Sawang BoriBoon Wat in Pattaya. I fell under their protection as no one would question their intentions or who was assisting them. Shortly after I left Pangnga and returned to Pattaya, Taksin decreed all volunteers _must_ have work permits (which after all, is the law).

Now, I'm planning to go back to Phuket with a group that will be diving to clear out the post-tsunami refuse from some of the yet uncleared beaches. This time, the group is sponsored by the TAT (Thai Tourist Authority), so even w/out a work permit, I won't be questioned as I'll be there under the 'umbrella' of a Thai gov't organization. I should add that I won't be the only farang on this particular effort.

So...as WP's are damn hard to get, even for volunteer efforts, I'd suggest contacting any Thai gov't related organizations and see if you can volunteer for some projects they may have. If you make it clear that you have no WP and they still want you to help, I feel confident that you'd be quite safe!

Good Luck...

Archived