Passport for Thai nationals to Malaysia??

MaakSiDa

On the positive side, there is no fee for a tourist visa in Malaysia. You get THREE MONTHS on arrival. Plus you can renew it for free WITHOUT having to leave the country. Malaysia tries to attract foreigners to spend their money in the country. Thailand has the peculiar notion that folks should come here, spend their money quickly ... and then get the hell out.

You get THREE MONTHS on arrival. Plus you can renew it for free WITHOUT having to leave the country

I have previously wondered why Thailand does not "sell" (or issue for fee!) 3,6 or 12 month (non working) visas, reissuable in Thailand, I am sure that their would be a market for them, and could be quite a money spinner. But perhaps it's far too simple.

The Thai govmt is almost paranoid about foreigners, and has become more so under the present PM. Malaysia, which admittedly has less to offer, actively tries to encourage visitors and investors. It is easier to buy property, start a business etc. You can also get a retirement visa good for 5 years, not the 1 year issued in Thailand. No nonsense about starting a bank account to bring your money into the country either.

As one Malaysian said to me on my last visit, "We like foreigners to come here and spend their money. They stay in our hotels or rent our apartments, eat in our restaurants, spend their money here on clothes and everything else. So we make it easy for them to come and stay."

Of course, it depends on what kind of foreigner you are. If you are poor and from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India etc ... forget it.

The Thai govmt is almost paranoid about foreigners, and has become more so under the present PM

Yeah, I know - I guess I was posting more as wishful thinking.

But I suppose it's all about compromise, after all I can stay as long as I like in Belguim without any visa, (I am making no jokes!) but I probably couldn't hump a farmers daughter for under a tenner..........

Archived