Tiger!

Dali

A masterful triumph by Tiger today - especially with it coming after a long dry spell for him (though he is certainly excused, and appreciated, for being human and making his lovely wife a priority in his life the last couple of years). The chip on 16 was among his greatest shots ever (and he's had several).

Have others of you noticed that Tiger is surprisingly not popular in Thailand, considering that he is 1/2 Thai? I've had various Thais, from male cab drivers to college educated professional women, tell me that Tiger Woods doesn't want to admit that he is half Thai, which disappoints them.

He was born in the US, grew up in the US and has lived his whole life in the US, so I think its natural that he is American first. At the same time, I haven't seen any evidence that he distances himself from his Thai heritage. He always wears red on Sunday (which I understand has a special meaning in Thai/Buddhist culture). And he has played several events in Thailand, which isn't exactly a convenient trip.

I'm guessing that many in Thailand 'want a piece of Tiger'. And with his popularity, he can't come close to making everyone happy. Can't blame a guy for wanting a private life and some time for himself.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be an interesting year for Tiger. I'm not a big fan of his and hope that he doesn't break the Golden Bear's record of 18 majors (although if Tiger just wins one a year for the next 10 years, the record is his). He did manage to bring some emotion to his game, which has been lacking in his career. I really like the fake smile Michelson had as he put the green jacket on Tiger. I've managed to see Tiger twice, in two British Opens, at Meirfield and Royal St. George, and at Meirfield , he managed to shoot an 82, which is his worst score as a professional. At Royal St. George, he managed to lose a ball, the only time that has happened and is remarkable since he attracts a large crowd whenever he plays. I'll be at St. Andrews in July to see if Tiger can win his 3rd major of the year (if he wins the U.S. Open) and to see Jack Nickalaus play in what probably will be his last major.

What I hate about the coverage on Tiger are the "vulnerable" comments and that he's not slamming the door shut as he had to go to a playoff hole.

Why can't they give Chris the credit he deserves for shooting a remarkable game.

And have any of the commentators looked at the leader board? Both Chris and Tiger closed 7 swings below anyone else!!! Just means both of them were playing on another level that weekend.

<<burp>>

I think it is fair comment that the Tiger of 2001/02 would have closed the deal after 16 and not bogeyed last 2 holes. When he won the US Open in 2002 he held all 4 major titles which was an incredible feat. On the Master's evidence IMO it is doubtful if he has regained that dominence at this stage.

I agree that Chris de Marco played a terrific final round and hung in there to force a play-off. Indeed if his chip on 18 had dropped he would have won it. :)

Chris DiMarco out played Tiger from tee to green. If he was even an average pro putter, he would have won Sunday. Tiger made the one great chip but his driving was more oftern than not in the rough. Of the 3 majors left, I only see him as having a chance at St. Andrews.

If he was even an average pro putter, he would have won Sunday.

I don't know about that. Dimarco might have putted ugly (with that claw grip), but not poorly. He had 27 putts to Tiger's 29 in the final round and 110 to 115 for the tournament. A 1.5 putting average isn't too bad for Augusta, IMO. Tiger drove the ball poorly, but he hit more GIR than Dimarco for the tournament, believe it or not.

I just looked it up: pgatour.com

gummigut said:

What I hate about the coverage on Tiger are the "vulnerable" comments and that he's not slamming the door shut as he had to go to a playoff hole.

Why can't they give Chris the credit he deserves for shooting a remarkable game.

And have any of the commentators looked at the leader board? Both Chris and Tiger closed 7 swings below anyone else!!! Just means both of them were playing on another level that weekend.

<<burp>>

Well said sir, Chris had his chances but like so many of the fab four, found a way to lose.

But if his chip on 18 went in, and Tiger's on 16 stayed out ...

We're (black Americans) claiming Tiger... :neener:...but we don't mind sharing. :):beer:

Joking aside, that chip he had that went in was right out of a movie...some folks said married life hurt his game. I think its just hard to dominate like that year in year out. The game takes so much concentration, mental toughness as well as physical toll on you.

Credit to Chris though, he wasn't intimidated and took Tiger head on. He has lots of time to win major tournaments.

Archived