Thai government to girls: Wear more close or else!

SiamIAm

"Spaghetti strap girls warned of disease risk - TNA, April 11, 2005

...In an extraordinary directive published yesterday, a ministry spokeswoman warned young women who favour (SIC) ‘spaghetti strap’ tops, particularly those made from dark-coloured (SIC) fabrics, that they were putting themselves at risk of being bitten by mosquitoes, which were the carriers of diseases ranging from elephantiasis to dengue fever and malaria. The ministry spokeswoman warned women who showed their shoulders, backs or belly buttons that they could become the victims of such conditions unless they modified their sartorial habits..." -2Bangkok.com

Dark colored fabrics?!? This whole thing would be laughable if I didn't think allot of Thai girls will take this bull to heart...

Scaring girls with BS to wear more close? That's just dirty poker...

Dengue fever is much more common here than people realise! I've had it twice, most recently 2 years ago ... when two of my colleagues and a neighbour also got it. My wife told me I should take better care of myself ... and then got it herself. Fortunately, the strains of dengue here are fairly mild. But even so it is not any fun and leaves you weak for a month or more afterwards.

Still, bare midriffs or spaghetti strap tops are hardly going to increase the odds of getting it. Maybe wearing a burqa might work though.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=5455

http://www.thailandguru.com/health-mosquito.html

http://tarakharper.com/v_dengue.htm

Flashermac said:Fortunately, the strains of dengue here are fairly mild. But even so it is not any fun and leaves you weak for a month or more afterwards.
I'll second that! By far the sickest I have ever felt was with dengue contracted in Cambodia but manifesting in KL. At first I felt like I had the flu - hot and achey and weak, but with no sore throat or sinus congestion. I ignored it and kept going to work. I kept getting worse and by Monday morning I awoke to find myself so weak that I literally could not get out of bed! Very scary that feeling, to tell your body to do something but it simply does not respond. I was able to drag myself to the phone and call my secretary who sent two employees to my house. They carried me to the car and took me to the hospital. I had a 41.5 temp! They put me on IV fluids (unknown what, if any, meds) and put ice packs all around my body. Better. But then the next day I would alternate from being burning hot to uncontrolable shivering cold and the poor nurses were kept busy swapping ice packs for blankets! That lasted three days and it finally broke. I was out of the hospital in a week, took another week off work and was just not 100% over the weakness/lack of endurance for about eight weeks! Absolutely no fun!

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:
Flashermac said:Fortunately, the strains of dengue here are fairly mild. But even so it is not any fun and leaves you weak for a month or more afterwards.
I'll second that! By far the sickest I have ever felt was with dengue contracted in Cambodia but manifesting in KL. At first I felt like I had the flu - hot and achey and weak, but with no sore throat or sinus congestion. I ignored it and kept going to work. I kept getting worse and by Monday morning I awoke to find myself so weak that I literally could not get out of bed! Very scary that feeling, to tell your body to do something but it simply does not respond. I was able to drag myself to the phone and call my secretary who sent two employees to my house. They carried me to the car and took me to the hospital. I had a 41.5 temp! They put me on IV fluids (unknown what, if any, meds) and put ice packs all around my body. Better. But then the next day I would alternate from being burning hot to uncontrolable shivering cold and the poor nurses were kept busy swapping ice packs for blankets! That lasted three days and it finally broke. I was out of the hospital in a week, took another week off work and was just not 100% over the weakness/lack of endurance for about eight weeks! Absolutely no fun!

Cheers,

SD

Same for me.

Made it to the hospital ER, told to sit and wait. By the time they called my name, I literally could not get up from the chair. At one point, being horrendously thirsty, I asked for and was given a cup of juice with a straw in it. I must have stared at it in my hand, a foot from my mouth, for over an hour before a nurse moved it to my lips!

Days of delerium brought on by a similar high temp. Lost 20 pounds in one week (I think that's about 1.5 stone or 9 kg for soume :))

FlasherM- Doc says second time can be disaster, with the hemorraghic form emerging. Not a problem for you?

The first time (1976) was very mild, and I was up and about in a couple of days -- though tired. I well remember those alternate fevers and chills though. The second time (2003), I barely made it home from work. I just turned on the a/c and hit the sack. I was too weak to even get to a doctor until I started feeling better. I think I must have just slept for several days without eating. When I did get to see the university doc, he checked me out and told me what I had, but by then I'd already figured it out myself.

Over a week later an idiot neighbour insisted I go to the market with him. I shouldn't have, but did. Ended up taking a taxi home from the market, which is only about two blocks away! I just didn't have the energy to walk back.

In Peace Corps training, they told us that it hits the Thais harder than Farangs. Can't verify that, but the Thais supposedly sometimes have bleeding from their pores with it.

Archived