wedding costs?

thai3

I've just been to one wedding - thai-thai and the bride 3 months pregnant (absolutely no mentioning of that of course), divorced mother couldn't be hostess so her still married sister was acting-mother and noone from fathers side present. Wedding in mother's house and a reception with 100-200 guests in a big hotel. That cost was surely covered by the money in the envelopes. Later the father (a general) had his reception with his friend and family for the couple.

But I was invited to an other reception in Oriental 2 years ago but had no possibility to attend.... ::

Right I attended a bkk hotel reception also a few months ago as uni friend of gf got married to taiwan guy she met at hotel where she worked LOL ;)

Took no more than few hours, no one got drunk apparently & not much more than 100 people I think?

Main event was photo shooting & few speeches & of course there was big wedding cake...

Bit of a tame affair really!

So this was reception I guess, which really has no legal or buddhist meaning, but more of an announcement or yeah - reception!

Thai engagement is first step with thai dress and groom will ask parents permission and thats where a 'sin sod' is given in exchange for their daughter!

At this point rings should be exchanged also.

There could be close guest also maybe 30 person in parents house.

Pouring water on hands is apparently a very important way to end that evening as its believed thats official good luck way to marry, but hardly anything formal about it at all, but should make family & all happy...

So if needed last thing to do is to register marriage officially at amphur, which require no party function at all or?

Rather uncommon these days I was told, but for farang marriages often a requirement for visas etc.

Or am I totally mistaken here?

Ohh topic at hand costs: does it by any chance works a bit like in the west where brides family usually pay & host the party?

well maybe I missed the damn thai plate with all the cash on it at the fancy reception, but anyways I figure the sin sod is perhaps negotiated, agreed & even paid at 'engagement' & then obviously at display at wedding for all to see what a sucker this farang who bough our whore daughter was LOL ::

I'd be mighty proud also if I was the parents :)

Archived