Don Muang's future?

Flashermac

THE NATION

16 April 2005

Don Muang could become hub for budget airlines

Feasibility report expected before Suvarnabhumi opens

After Bangkok?s Suvarnabhumi international airport opens next year, Don Muang airport may be transformed into a hub for budget airlines.

The Department of Aviation and Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Co Ltd is studying the current airport?s future and whether foreign low-cost carriers should also fly there along with Thai budget airlines.

Although there is no specific timeframe for the study, Deputy Transport Minister Phumtham Wechayachai said he expected the department to finish its report before the opening of Suvarnabhumi, scheduled for next March. ?All the information from the study will be used to determine our policy on the future of Don Muang.?

Over the past few years, low-cost airlines - including Thai AirAsia, Nok Air and One-Two-Go - have sprouted wings, intensifying competition on domestic and international routes.

Regional budget carriers, such as Tiger and Jet Star, have also begun undercutting traditional carriers on international routes and in turn increasing the number of airlines plying the skies of the region.

The government has bandied about a number of different ideas for Don Muang once the new airport opens, including transforming it into new digs for Parliament, a notion that didn?t make the cut.

While in office, Suriya Jungrungreangkit, the former transport minister, indicated that he wouldn?t object to Don Muang becoming a base for low-cost carriers.

Phumtham said if it is decided that Don Muang should become a hub for low-cost airlines, the entire management of the airport, from flight control systems to scheduling of flights between Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi, as well as other facilities, would have to be reconsidered.

?If we allow regional low-cost airlines to come in there, then we must also establish customs and immigration procedures,? he said.

The study will also consider other ways to make the best use of Don Muang?s facilities.

It could become a centre for aircraft maintenance, an exhibition centre, a parking area for private aircraft, or a base for corporate jets and chartered flights, he said.

by Watcharapong Thongrung

thai3 said:

Can someone remind us what the logic was for the new airport? I like DM and it does not seem to be that busy to need replacing with somewhere offering more capacity. Why did they not extend the facilities at DM?-peter

I agree. Keep it small, simple and compact.

If they convert it into a budget hub, think about the hassles

transfering from regular flights that land across town.

Bangkok traffic would make that a nightmare.

Btw has the new airport got an Skytrain connection going to it?

Shit

I don't remember hearing about any real statistics showing the need for a new airport. But they are probably hoping to get a lot of international transfer traffic with the new capacity.

Just hope it will never be needed to do transfers between the old and new airport, like so many other places around the world. That would be a real pain in Bangkok traffic.

Got a taxi at on nut and it was about 125 baht to the new airport and that was with little traffic, quicker going back until you get to around bang na trat when even at one in the morning there are traffic jams with lorries, morning just as bad I am told-peter

Shit-Spattered Dog said:
thai3 said:

Btw has the new airport got an Skytrain connection going to it?

From what I can gather on this one, it depends which government Minister you ask.

Some have said that there would be, some are not sure and others have said no.

I also remember reading one quote last year that the Thai government will wait until the airport is built to see if one is needed.

thai3 said:

Got a taxi at on nut and it was about 125 baht to the new airport and that was with little traffic, quicker going back until you get to around bang na trat when even at one in the morning there are traffic jams with lorries, morning just as bad I am told-peter

The reason for the traffic is because half of the road is closed off (and has been for over a year now) due to the extensions being built to the expressways.

This is being done for the airport project and will be complete well before the airport is open, so the present traffic will be no indication of what the traffic will be like when the airport does open.

aussiedoug said:

Rather obvious really, they want to compete with HongKong and Singapore, they have no hope, so at least their mates can make a few bucks building it.

Sorry what is obvious?

Please enlighten me.

Compete for what?

If you?re talking tourists (which is the main reason for this airport), I will agree there is no competition, Thailand wins hands down.

If not please tell me which competition I am missing.

Regards Tiger.

Last year there were already talks in Germany about cheap flights to N. Y. and to Asia later for 120-200 US$. If the plans will really come into effect in the upcoming years many more tourists will pour into Thailand.

Additional my speculation is that the Thailand will fight to stay the major hub for SE-Asia. Cambodia is planning to increase the numbers of tourists considerably every year and Vietnam will have it's share of tourists as well. And some day Burma will enter the tourist market with a much higher degree too.

kamui said:

Last year there were already talks in Germany about cheap flights to N. Y. and to Asia later for 120-200 US$. If the plans will really come into effect in the upcoming years many more tourists will pour into Thailand.

Additional my speculation is that the Thailand will fight to stay the major hub for SE-Asia. Cambodia is planning to increase the numbers of tourists considerably every year and Vietnam will have it's share of tourists as well. And some day Burma will enter the tourist market with a much higher degree too.

Well lets hope than that the place really does open, gleemed

this link from another form:http://www.bangkokairport.org/demo/en/index.htm

Shit.

:shakehead

Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta (USA) was just an old WWII airport. Then Atlanta spent some money for longer runways and better terminals. Now Atlanta Hartsfield is the second (besides Chicago) in travel - volume - take-offs and landings.

Archived