becareful with latest windows update

whosyourdaddy

Becareful with the latest windows update if you have pantip version of XP. It crashed my computers and it crashed my neighbours. Need to find a XP with service pack 1 to REPAIR it. Service pack 2 does not work. Your update settings may be for automatic so you might not know that it installed itself before it is too late. Might be a good idea to do a back up also soon

Sorry to disappoint you, but when you have SP2 installed you can't repair that with Win XP SP1. Will tell you something about 'later version already installed' and stop.

Repair the system with Win XP SP2 just doesn't work, or do you get any message why it won't do so?

Backups are never a bad idea.

Btw, I have Win XP SP2 (Pro, not home), latest updates, no problems that I know of.

pantip version of XP

You are complaining that a 100 baht bootleg version of Microsoft software can't be updated?

If you had paid retail, for a legal version, instead of stealing, then you wouldn't have a problem.

It takes brass balls to steal something, admit it in public, and then ask us for help getting the stolen product to work.

Have you tried going back to Panthip Plaza for after-sales support?

johnsanders said:
pantip version of XP

You are complaining that a 100 baht bootleg version of Microsoft software can't be updated?

If you had paid retail, for a legal version, instead of stealing, then you wouldn't have a problem.

It takes brass balls to steal something, admit it in public, and then ask us for help getting the stolen product to work.

Actually I think its 50 % more, a staggering 150 Bt.

But I like your POV :p

BB

johnsanders said:
pantip version of XP

JS-

Yeah, that'd be like asking what bars are <illegally> showing or asking for health advice after fucking <illegal> hookers.

To me, WYD's words sounded more like a warning than a whining, especially given the title of his post.

You usually offer sound, pertinent advice, especially on tech questions- why today jump on him for using pirated software, then close with a barbed comment?

More on topic...

I run a legit XP on my laptop and a Panthip special on my desktop. I disable automatic updates/downloads of everything that I have control of. I clicked on the wrong link on the MS site once and had my pirate XP damned by MS- now my desktop teases me with "Updates Available...Click Here..."- but if I click on the balloon, it just goes away. Guess I'm lucky it does that! :)

Never know what you have installed when you buy computers from pantip. Maybe OEM , maybe pirate. Just becareful. Not whining at all. Just a word of caution since someone may lose some important data.

I had an unlimited budget to outfit the computers at work with legit software. Good luck trying to find all the software you need in Thailand if you are trying to keep it above board.

Agree,

I can't recommend running automatic update on Windows. Windows update offers software you might not need, and even worse update drivers for your hardware even though you already installed the appropriate drivers (and updates) from the hardware manufacturer. Most times you won't notice a difference, but sometimes the M$ driver is just crap. Once the M$ driver crippled my soundcard from 4-channel to 2-cannel. I installed the manufacturers driver and everything back to normal. These days I'm a bit more careful.

KK, you might go to the security center, click automatic updates and set to disabled. I guess your setting is 'notify me, but don't update automatically' (sorry for the translation, I run the german version).

I started a thread a few weeks back -updating windows- that explained one method of getting the necessary updates without using Windows update site. I've been using this method and so far all seems well. The last time I did visit the Windows update site it informed me I needed to start 3 services running before I could use the update site, screw that.

Hi WYD,

Thanks for the warning.

I am running a panthip xp on 3 computers and I definitely don`t need this. Just had a major crash last month and dunno what caused it.

Funny how the XP System Restore feature consistently fail to do what it is supposed to do :(

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived