first signs of HIV

spirit_of_town_hall

I'm curious what are the first signs of HIV, about 8 yrs ago I had the misfortune to have to visit an STD clinic twice in the UK from things I had picked up from UK girls like NSU infection etc.

On both occasions I was asked by the doctor if 3 days after intercourse I had suffered flue , the second time I was asked this I asked the doctor why they were asking and they said that 2 or 3 days after being infected iegoing with the infected person if you contract HIV you suffer a bout of flu and then you are well again, until you go down hill etc.

I was wondering if anybody else had heard about feeling fluey from doctors and what are the first symptoms any how.

I heard a radio show last night and on it was a guy who caught HIV from a blood transfussion 19 yrs ago he was still reasonably well apart from periodically getting fungal infections in the mouth.

I have read a lot on this forum about rates or incidence of infection but not about the symptoms, what starts to happen to you?

Cheers

According to numerous studies, many people who have contracted HIV will develop symptoms like influenza or mononucleasis within 1-4 weeks of the infection.

What the studies don't agree on is the percentage of people who turned sero-positive who will develop these symptoms. Many say 70-90%, but I have come across a recent Indian study in which the rate was 47% The large divergence may be due to the different HIV strains.

quote:

Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

I was wondering if anybody else had heard about feeling fluey from doctors and what are the first symptoms any how.

Yes, I've hears the same thing. But think one shouldn't get too paranoid. After all there are zillion types of viruses out there, and the risk of getting a ordinary cold or flue 24-hour kinda virous is, of course, a lot bigger than getting the rare HIV. With that said, I always get very paranoid when getting a cold... shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Originally posted by adamsky:

"With that said, I always get very paranoid when getting a cold...".

Frequent fungal infections would be much more worrisome, or a bout of TB.

TB is not one of the early warning signs for AIDS. Many AIDS patients do develop/have TB but this is way down the road in their already known (most of the time) AIDS disease development. A person typically will already be aware (hopefully) of their AIDS status long before something like TB kicks in. AIDS patients are very susceptible to illnesses like TB due to their immune system's low resistence is unable or incapable to fight/ward off. An initial severe bout of flu, unexplained weight loss, persistent fevers or/and sweating intermittently, swollen lymph nodes, chronic diarrhea, oral thrush and general malaise and lethargy collectively or partially should have you much more concern than TB symptoms for early AIDS warning signs. The vast majority of people with active TB do not have AIDS, but I suspect that this number has been narrowing over the last ten years.

Originally posted by cardinalblue:

"The vast majority of people with active TB do not have AIDS, but I suspect that this number has been narrowing over the last ten years."

There has been an strong increase in TB cases in India over the last few years, mostly due to the rapid rise of HIV infections. Sorry, I can't give you any concrete figures off-hand.

quote:

Thanks for putting me in the picture, what is general malaise?

Americans usually call this "feeling like shit." Tired, low energy level, etc. Pretty much a symptom of most diseases.

How long or how quickly do these symptoms manifest themselves. If you had gone with an infected person say 2 years ago would you have noticed anything.

I read an article in FHM magazine and there was an article on a guy who had caught it from needles, he said he first noticed signs of the virus after 6 months, I thought that was too soon?

" ... he said he first noticed signs of the virus after 6 months, I thought that was too soon?"

I have heard of some people dying within a year or so after infection, but that seems to be very rare. Some people exhibit no outward signs of HIV infection after 10 years or more. I read somewhere that people infected at a young age usually survive longer than those infected in their later years - which makes sense as your resistance to disease weakens with age anyhow.

In short: It's almost impossible to set down a standard rule as to when when the infection will manifest itself.

As a side note: I'm a very frequent taxi passenger, and in the last weeks and months I've had several drivers who had strangely gaunt faces and were conspicuously thin - a kind of thinness than one instinctively associates with a chronic illness. One of them had dark spots on his skin ... frightening reminders of what could happen if not careful ... or maybe even despite being careful ...

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived