used teak doors

dean

Hi Dean - My wife and I just finished building a house near Phrae, which is a town in the northern province of the same name and known for wood crafting. Many in her family are in the "wood business". Her uncles are carpenters and some other distant relatives are in the used wood business.

What we did was to buy old wood and then had the doors made to the specs we needed. We made 13 doors and 40 single window frames. We used old teak for the doors, stairway, windows, downstairs ceilings and upstairs front bedroom floors. We used old mahogany for the window frames and the back bedroom floors. Some of the wood we bought and some we had from the family's old house which we dismantled.

There are many used wood salvage yards just outside of the town of Phrae where the wood is separated by size and quality. I don't think you need to have relatives in the business to do it this way but I do think that you need to have a trustworthy Thai negotiator. Anyway, I will be in the village Dec & Jan and happy to show you around if you desire.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got home Tuesday nite. Other than the teak furniture, I just bought the 5 teak doors unfinished, to see how they acclaimate to the U.S. midwest. I did order around 800 square feet of rosewood flooring, which should be ready by my next trip in late August. I would like to buy maybe 10-15 more teak doors, along with teak door trim and baseboard. I think that I'll buy the windows here but trim them out with teak casings. My next shipment should be this winter, and I'll be there sometime in January to the end of March, so I'd like to take you up on your offer and visit some of the local salvage yards then. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Archived