used teak doors

dean

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Soi really deserves a look. You could spend a whole day there. There were several door (knock?) shops on the main road, but the main road doesn't compare to the Soi. I'm sure you'll find what you want there.

As for mositure content of wood, I'd be a bit wary as I don't know how much of the wood is dried well. I have an electronic moistire-content reader which I use if I am looking to buy furniture. It's a pretty spiffy tool. But expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Dog. I am in Chiang Mai until Thursday and have eye surgery on Friday but could look at it over the weekend, if anything is left. I did ask my supplier in Chiang Mai about teak doors (ordinary 6 paneled type) and she thought that she could find someone that makes them for 5,000-6,000B, which would make buying used doors (which have been trimmed to fit the door casing and probably trimmed over the years from the house settling) less atractive. I'll know something about the new doors by Tuesday but I would like the phone number if you think that there will be anything left by next weekend. You can PM me the phone number. Thanks

Your Thai is a lot better than mine. I'm still working on Kap um Klap (sp) after 9 visits to the Kingdom. It turns out that I was able to buy 5 unfinsihed teak doors for 5,000 B a piece and I have room on my 20 ft. container, so it really isn't costing me anymore to ship them. They are one meter wide by 2 miters high (about 40 inches by 80 inches for U.S. citizens) and they are pretty rough but I was able to pick through the 10 doors available so I think that I have 5 doors that will finish very nicely. Since they are made at home, I will let them sit until next February in an air-conditioned/heated room, so by then, I should be able to see how much they will shrink. With all the crap that I'm bringing back this time, I better do a search on how to use e-bay for most of the handicrafts. I leave for Bangkok tomarrow on the overnight train (because I have two large, full suitcases) but I will be about and out Thursday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and leave Tuesday morning at 6:00A.M.

If you go to CM, contact these folks who buy a lot of these doors for use in their furniture business. Good people that should be able to guide you in the right direction.

HARPER BROSTE (walking sticks and Furniture) Good designs and nice quality

8/1 Arak Rd., Soi 7, A Muang, Chiang Mai. Tel. (053)276 686

Archived