used teak doors

dean

Anybody know of any businesses in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai that sells teak doors taken from houses that are demolished? I am having a 20 foot container sent toward the end of May and was told I have more room to fill, if I want to. I will be in Chinag Mai the middle of May to help coordinate the shipment and could buy the doors from at least two stores in C.M. that I do know sell teak doors for around $200 a piece. I would rather buy used doors, since I have the tools at home to strip and re-finish them. If Thais like to own new houses, I assume that there must be a surplus of used materials from houses that are demolished. If anyone knows of any old houses that are being demolished, I'd appreciate a "head's up".

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dean,

I don't think there's a demand for second-hand building materials - if they can afford to build a house they want a new one - so I don't think you'll find many such shops if any. And outside the cities they don't normally demolish any building, just build new ones beside the others.

elef

Most of the houses in rural areas (which would be your best source) are always re-used.

When builing our house, we bought another one 15 kms away, it was pulled apart, wood re-workedd, then a new house assembled.

This just about always happens, for extra wood (my house being bigger than the one we bought) new wood is used, but the quality is very inferrior, the wood not cured, warps etc.

So - while the above is partially true, they do build new ones, nearly always out of old ones

This being for wooden houses of course!

DOG

I'll call the lady in C.M. who is handling the packing of the furniture and see if she knows of any houses that are being demolished. If not, I'll have her check on new teak doors, to see if any locals make and sell them on their own. If that doesn't pan out, I can alway go to the store that I found in C.M. last January and buy 4-5 doors for around $200 a piece. Anything is better than buying it here in the U.S. In my flooring business, I ocasionally need to buy exotic woods, like teak, to make thresholds for existing exotic flooring. The last time that I had to buy a teak board that was half an inch thick, four inches wide and 4 feet long, cost me $90. Thanks for the responses.

dean,

during one of my investigating footwalks through Bangkok , not Chiang Mai, I found an area where they sell or manufacture billions of teakwood doors , with glass or without , any design. sa far as I recall , 200 USD you pay for a nicely done brand new unit. if that is of interest to you , let me know and wait til Wednesday as I am in Portugal at the moment .

BuBi , wood is good

The lady in C.M. that has contacts with other suppliers originally gave me a figure of 29,000 B for an eight piece teak indoor furniture set. It turns out that this is from Burma and she has no way to import it to Thailand to include with shipping, so I'll pay 38,500 B for same furniture from a local (Chiang Mai) manufacture. I have no idea how they get around the new teak prohibition, but I'll find out next month. This is an interesting sidelight but its beginning to take too much time away from my day job.

You're probably thinking of Prachanaruemit in Bag Sue. Wood street. Close to Mo Chit (Chatuchak).

The Soi has tons of furniture shops. Made to order, custom, already made.. Everything that you'd ever want.

I don't exactly remember the Soi Number. I'll look it up if someone's interested.

Archived