Google's proxy defeats Thai web censorship

Fidel

Don't like any of the Section 5 Privacy statements whatsoever, it doesn't put me much at ease knowing that a large privately-run corporation gleans so much info - and that was always a big issue with Microsoft products in the past and present...now another mob are doing it. I'll give it a big miss, if I want an proxy, I'll install a product on my local machine, not someone elses, and just use Google to find an up-to-date, public, anonymous proxy list and use that which would also allow access to sites banned within LOS - or just enter a proxy address directly into the browsers options and do it that way.

well if google don't collect info of pages you visit then your ISP does it & being located in e.g. LOS or China I can see clear benefits in this accelerator.

if one doesn't like it just turn it off most of the time except when needing it to view banned sites ;)

Hi, just read in a german computer magazine that there's probably a problem with web accelerator. Because it temporarily stores cookies there's a chance that you log on to websites with wrong identity. And others might log on with your identity.

This doesn't appy to any serious connections via SSL like internet banking because SSL isn't routed via google web accelerator (as I understood).

I don't post the link as it is all in german. You wanna know more just 'google' :( for it.

carlton68 said:

Hi, just read in a german computer magazine that there's probably a problem with web accelerator. Because it temporarily stores cookies there's a chance that you log on to websites with wrong identity. And others might log on with your identity.

This doesn't appy to any serious connections via SSL like internet banking because SSL isn't routed via google web accelerator (as I understood).

I don't post the link as it is all in german. You wanna know more just 'google' :( for it.

True with the SSL.

My understanding is that it will cache pages and might deliver to you a page that says "You are logged in as Joe X" or whatever, but you are actually NOT logged in and actually have no way to login as that person- it's just that the saved page happens to have that heading on it. But, IANAITG (I am not an IT guy)

Here's another good link and another here talking about the prefetching ability to click ALL LINKS on your page- including things like "delete me", etc.

Anyway, if you've got broadband, the only service for which it's written, is that extra 1.7 seconds/dl really gonna affect you?? :)

Basically what Google is doing is mirroring or making a complete copy of the internet on IT'S OWN servers. This is how they are able to provide info faster than most servers, and why it defeats most bands. Most of the bands are directed at the individual servers IP address, using Google accelerator, it would be directed at the Google IP (not band yet) with the restricted material duplicated...

IF this becomes the norm for internet usage, not only does it hand control of the internet to one company it also allows them UNRESTRICTED access to what sights you visit what you are buying ect...Scary stuff if you ask me...

nothing new here really ISPs has been using proxies as long I can remember, but of course I see the point of centralisation if a large part of all internet users were to use Googles, but then again their servers would be quite busy wouldn't they?

Archived