Childrens name

A number of us here are expecting kids soon, anywhere from 1 week to 5 months away (my case).

My kid is calledd, as many know, "Jing-Joe'.

There a re few reasons we chose this name, and we even started calling her it beofre she was born and before we knew what sex she was!

Firtsly, I wanted a Thai name, and found it really cool that the word for Kangaroo is totally diffferent from the Australian word.

Also it is a "Aussie" name in a sence also!

Another reason is Thais like to give nicknames of animals Nok, Gop etc.

And lastly it is a nice sounding name, suitable for boy or girl.

A few people have pointed out we should have givven her a "Normal" name and then nicknamed her Jing-Joe, BORING!

Most people though do find it a bit odd to be called "Kangaroo", even in Australia.

Recently when in Australia, Jing-Joe and I met a few Aboriginal's in a park, and sat and chatted with them.

One of them had a photo album of his family and animals in the Northern Territory were they where from.

He would pationatly point to a animal, say fish, tell Jing-joe the Aboriginal name, and she would then tell him the Thai name "Pla".

Was quite fun to watcch them learning each other unique languages.

When he showed us a picture of a Kangaroo, and said to her "Bourum", She squeeled with delight.

"Jing-Joe", that a "Jing-Joe", my name Jing-Joe" KANGAROO!

He calmly turned to another bloke, and said, "Hey this kid is named Kangaroo same as you"

No one was surprized and Jing-Joe was delighted to discover someone alse called Kangaroo!

This chld we think is a boy, but no photographic evience yet.

I told DarLek I wanted to call him "Sue" aka the Johnny Cash Song, "A Boy calledd Sue"

DarLek agreed at first until some Farang friend spilledd the beans and pointed out it was a girls name and totally unsuited to a boy.

I tried "Susan" and again that worked for a few days until the same "friend" pointed out it was the same name!

Now I am stuck for names, Koala is Koala in Thai, so no fun with that, and wombat, well . . . .

Suggestions anyone for a Thai/Aussie name?

DOG

Nervous_Dog said:

Hmmm - not keen on DOG it seems.

DINGO! That would have been good.

I wonder what the Thai word for Platapus is?

Hi

I just asked my wife to say it....what a`hoot...had to show her your post to stop any acts of violence :neener:

How about a bird...Kookaburra...etc :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived