Do Thai women trust each other?

walletss

[color:"red"] I've also noticed that some of the Thai girls I know in the US actively stay away from other Thai's...My girlfriend for example (Chinese/Thai) does not like me speaking Thai when we go out to eat at Thai restaurants. [/color]

I do stay away from most Thais because of the nasty habit of "gossiping". Of course, I do talk to people when in a temple or restuarants but I pick who get any further than that carefully indeed. :o

Jasmine

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] And to add, some think they are in position to tell the other what she "should" do, any matters but that of the heart often, and the advised one ends up being fed up with being told.

It's usually the reason I hear when of my friend's thai wife stops seeing her thai friends "all they do is sit around and yakyak, yakyak...".

[/color]

True true and true P127. :hug: :hug:

I find it such a waste of times when most of them just want to know things about each other, forget about talking about politics, education and something more stimulating than "Do you know how much her husband make? What do you think her diamond ring cost?" and nonsense like that!!!

Even now I am retired and have more time, those talks still bore me to tears.

Jasmine :banghead:

jasmine said:

[color:"red"] I've also noticed that some of the Thai girls I know in the US actively stay away from other Thai's...My girlfriend for example (Chinese/Thai) does not like me speaking Thai when we go out to eat at Thai restaurants. [/color]

I do stay away from most Thais because of the nasty habit of "gossiping". Of course, I do talk to people when in a temple or restuarants but I pick who get any further than that carefully indeed. :o

Jasmine

Are we talking about both male and female Thais?

If we're talking about female Thais, I don't really think this is really just a "Thai thing." Has anyone ever seen that movie "Mean Girls"? Men's aggression against each other manifests itself in the physical; women's aggression against each other manifests itself in gossiping, backbiting, nastiness...

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question. I hate to be generalizing here but it seems like most women no matter what their nationality seem to distrust each other.

If not that then they are two faced. Have you ever been in a room with a bunch of women? What happens when one leaves? They all start talking about her like she was the town slut.

How many guys do you know that do that? We usually talk about sports or the girl we are doing.

I remember one very intelligent university student who told me she simply could not relate to her female classmates. The reason was that she had "challenged" her matayom exams and got the equivalent of completing M 6 (under the new system, probably M S 5 when you were studying). Thus she had completed her secondary schooling at 15! Her parents (bankers) felt that she was too young for university at 15, so she told them she wanted to go to the US and study high school there. There were some family friends or relatives in Texas, so this young Thai gal went to the 11th and 12th grades in Texas. Then she took the university entrance exam and got into the Faculty of Liberal Arts at Thammasat (the oldest such faculty in Thailand).

She thus had been exposed to the freedom of speech and thought in an American school and had a much broader outlook on the world than her classmates. She complained that all they wanted to talk about was makeup, clothing styles, movie stars etc. She said she felt very out of place, since those subjects didn't interest her. (Most of the university students had never been abroad, and some of them had never even been farther from home than a trip to Hua Hin or Pattaya with their parents.)

Flash,

I've heard similar stories, know a few of them myself, and such Thai people (both male and female) usually seek for a future abroad for the reasons you mentioned above.

Also, girls such as the one you described in your post, have a preference for either a foreign partner or a Thai male with an overseas education, since they believe they couldn't possibly put up with a 'typical' Thai (male) character.

As you said, such girls feel out of place and feel character-wise closer to a foreigner (or Thai counterpart with similar background).

Any more info on this particular girl and her thoughts?

I'd be curious to know.

:)

[color:"red"] She thus had been exposed to the freedom of speech and thought in an American school and had a much broader outlook on the world than her classmates. She complained that all they wanted to talk about was makeup, clothing styles, movie stars etc. She said she felt very out of place, since those subjects didn't interest her. (Most of the university students had never been abroad, and some of them had never even been farther from home than a trip to Hua Hin or Pattaya with their parents.)

[/color]

I can relate to this story. I also spent time in HS in the USA before getting to Thammasart. However, the group I was with, without being arrogant here, were the top of the class and we studied hard, little chat here and there on cosmetics, hardly about anything besides our subjects and how we were supposed to do well in all classes. This group consisted of 7 women and 2 men and all but one studied abroad and have at least 2 degrees.

I don't think it is 100% that people need to be exposed abroad to have wider outlooks, it is, IMO, individual and how we think and how we set our goals. However, many people do NOT have goals which is sad for me. ::

Jasmine

Archived