MALARIA *** Lariman

Any one here take lariman and have problems ( mental) from it>?

I took a course of it about 2 years ago, and thinking back I ( and friends/family) noticed a change in my personality, memory, and decision making.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lariam i think is correct spelling & yes I took it some years back & had quite bad hallucinations kinda experiences.

unfortunately that made me stop taking it when I guess I needed it in india & thus I had a malaria outbreak, which almost got the best of me :banghead::doah::down:

so my advice don't take any med., at least not lariam, but do keep some anti malarials at hand in case of an outbreak, which could be lariam also ,)

I had hallucinational effects with Lariam as well the one time i used it, about 10 years back. Stopped taking it after talking to fellow travellers and they told me about possible side effects.

Lariam won't protect you from getting malaria and is used as a medicine for malaria, so only take it when you have malaria.

Lariam has a long list of bad side effects, like hallucination, schizophrenia, hair loss etc

"Lariam won't protect you from getting malaria and is used as a medicine for malaria, so only take it when you have malaria."

Wrong.

It is true that *in Thailand* there is a lot of resistance to Lariam. This means *in Thailand* Lariam probably won't protect you from getting malaria AND is probably useless as a medicine for malaria.

Iuytrude,

In my understanding, no malaria profilac protects you from catching malaria, they only reduce the risk. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In this case, re. Lariam, I wasn't even talking about Thailand specifically, just in general.

Hi!

The vaccination centres in Sweden have stopped issueing lariam I believe, at least for trips to SE Asia. The replacement is called Malerone and is at least as effective as Lariam. The also told me that it has no known side effects.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived