Crackdown on beggars soon

chilli13

You don't see as many of the blind bands any more, but around 15 years ago there was a story in the Bangkok Post about a businessman here who had set up a dorm for beggars. They had comfortable rooms, got fed well ... and got to keep 100 baht of the money they brought in each day. The guy bought the bands' equipment and transported them back and forth. He also had people dropping off beggars on their assigned "work sites".

I think the solo blind musicians are probably genuine. But I'd be suspicious of a band with drums, a keyboard, bass and lead guitars and an amp system!

The story I've always like is about the Farang beggar. Seems some BG ran off with his money, so he just started begging on the streets. He allegedly got as much as 1,000 baht a day -- since Thais thought it was fun to give to a Farang beggar. But after a few months, the Thai beggars got p*ssed off and turned him into to the cops. (Maybe begging without a work permit or something.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Don't bank on it. About 10 years ago there was this blind geezer that came every day to soi Postoffice. He was led by a kid and banging away at the pavement with the mandatory metal piping. His eyes were completely white and nobody doubted that he was blind. He did quite well until someone saw him just around the corner on 2:nd rd. where he turned his eyes right, got into a car and drove off. :D

regards

ALHOLK

Well I'm quite glad that I didn't give to heavily to any of the beggars now when I was in BKK!

Some of the beggars especially some of the amputees and mothers and children did make me feel quite disturbed while I was over there - possibly the closest I've come to true suffering and poverty firsthand.

However in the UK I've always been told that a donation to a homeless charity is far more effective than giving directly to homeless peoples drink fund (not that I wouldn't want to drink heavily if I had no home) so I promised myself I would make a donation when I returned home. To my shame I still havent got round to it. So I was wondering if any of the Thailand residents here could suggest a worthy shelter or charity that I could make a donation to to fulfill my promise to myself?

many thanks

Rodin

First post should appear soon in the Introduction section after moderation.

just 'donate' to any legitimate local biz while in country say a BG, street restaurant, gf family whatever.

and whatever you do avoid at all cost ais/12call sims as thats the worst scam you'll ever come across far outperforming the timeshare, daytrader or begging dudes!

to put it more precise avoid the whole conglomarate of shinewatra biz

oh and on the beggers & all just because you happen to come across a begger at suk or any other gullible spot in a 3rd world country whatever doesnt make you any differant than any of your countrymen who just stay in country whole life.

so both of you may or may not donate to beggers, charities, NGOs whatever. absolutely no need to feel ashamed of ignoring those guys. or of course you could try to save the world ;)

Flashermac said:

There are some "legitimate" beggars, but when you see some being dropped off by pickup trucks and picked up again at the end of the day ... it does sort of raise your suspicions.

It's time to get those who run this business in jail for many years to come, nah. Exploiting disabled people, disgusting criminals they are.

But they will just get the victims off the streets....

suadum said:

Rodin, I'd recommend Father Joe's charity. http://www.fatherjoe.org

. . . Cheers, SD

Agree. I listened to Father Joe speak about a year ago at the Neilson Hays Library, and periodically send contributions. Very impressed at his humility and common sense approach to make meaningful differences to thousands of poor Thais in the Klong Toey community.

Archived