women sewn up after birth?

I was talking to my temorary girlfriend last night about childbirth in Thailand. She said that after her daughter was born the doctor gave her a few stitches in some kind of simple operation. She explained that it was because women were 'wide' after childbirth and it was standard procedure in Thailand to do this. This would explain why Thai women are generally much tighter than their western counterparts even after childbirth. I knew that this was an optional procedure for women in the states who wanted to tighten things up, but I don't think it's standard after childbirth. Anybody know more about this?

Well this is Scuba's domain but.... I will just mention that I have heard of women recieving a small incision shortly before child birth intended to

assist the motheer in pushing out the big turd. This

would likely need to be sewn up after the little turd has been freed from where he will ever more strugle to return. Originally i think this surgery was intended to assist the labouring mother but hey

if it protects the goods from damage so be it laugh.gif" border="0

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Pom_Jao_Choo ]

Thai women are tighter than western women after childbirth because they are smaller to begin with and not because of extra stitches put in.

An episiotomy is done mainly to prevent the tissue from tearing. Repairing an episiotomy correctly is easier than repairing correctly a swollen torn perineum.

Tightness of the vagina outlet depends on reconstruction of the perineal body and not on a few extra stitches placed in the skin. Skin by itself doesn't have enough structural integrity to determine tightness.

quote:

Originally posted by tomc12:

Thai women are tighter than western women after childbirth because they are smaller to begin with and not because of extra stitches put in.

An episiotomy is done mainly to prevent the tissue from tearing. Repairing an episiotomy correctly is easier than repairing correctly a swollen torn perineum.

Tightness of the vagina outlet depends on reconstruction of the perineal body and not on a few extra stitches placed in the skin. Skin by itself doesn't have enough structural integrity to determine tightness.

Actually the few papers I read on this say pretty categorically that a "tear" heals much better, and with fewer complications than a straight edge incision...try telling that to most medics though..sigh. They just love those shiney scalpels..

-j-

Archived