Religious or Non-religious

Zaad

Where's the church forum when I need one?

Anyways, Dutch newspaper says 69% of the youth ventures through life religiousless opossed to church-goers of a minor 11% (yes, no idea where the newspaper left the other 20%, perhaps undecided :) )

Those who don't consider themselves to have a religion ask for mere independency, happiness in both life and relationship bla bla bla .. a group which I belong to :)

You guys?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously one first needs to define what is religion.

To me, religion only exists when one is required to have 'faith', which in turn is defined as 'believing in something that can not be conclusively proven'.

But since many, if not most, people believe in concepts that can not be proven, everyone may have some sort of 'religion'. Often however, these are not seen as such.

SO............ I need more thinking time.

Laohuli,

Religious: -practise teachings, reading bible, going to church/mosque/temple.. more often than the mere religious holidyas for prayers and such...I think you get the point, no? Let's keep it simple.

Non-religious:- none (very little) of the above

On the contrary Zaad, the definition is all important. That may be the reason that the results are as skewed as they are.

You appear, as many do, to define 'religion' in a narrow "old Book' sense, and few young people are willing to accept such a limited definition.

'Bible'..... only of concern to 'Christians'

'going to church/mosque/temple' ..... only of concern to those that use such trappings

2/3 of the world do not use such things, but most have 'religion' that is 'faith in something' ...... just not your definition

so;

do I go or believe in any 'church' ..... no

do I believe in the bible as anything more than a politically motivated piece of brainwashing dogma..... no

Am I religious ..... of course..... and due mostly to NOT beleiving in these limited concepts.

so I still choose #3

i voted non religious but then got thinking.

maybe i am as at my age i thank God everytime i get a free fuck.......... :grinyes:

if this happens on my next trip i will certainly do a Bryan Robson and walk around with a Buddha in my pocket for luck and good karma......... ::

LHL is right. To be religious may not have anything to do with the trappings of church or temple, synagogue or mosquee going.

It seems you asked if we are involved in some of these activities. No for me.

Am I religious.... I'm thinking, i'm thinking... looks like #3! :)

2/3 of the world do not use such things, but most have 'religion' that is 'faith in something' ...... just not your definition

Laohuli...even I have a religion...(catholic) but I consider myself as non-religious because I give fuck all about my religion.

That's sort of what I was aiming for with this poll.

:)

Archived