Window Period for HIV+ Sero Conversion????

Savittre

After infection with HIV it takes up to 6 months until seroconversion, i.e. until HIV-antibodies are found.

During these 6 months the infected person will test as HIV-negative even if he/she carries the virus and can infect other people.

Hence the widespread recommendation to have an HIV-test follwed by 6 months of monogamy and a second HIV-test.

Last time I was at the local clinic,The local criminals arrested the night before were having HIV tests that morning. The ones that come up positive were seperated from the negative prisoners when admitted to the jail. With a 6 month window, this system would not work too well. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

quote:

Originally posted by land o' scams:

With a 6 month window, this system would not work too well. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

Same reason as anybody else would do the test. It's better than NOT taking it at all, isn't it?

regards

A test at 3 months is 95% accurate at 6 months it's 99%.

There is a case of a french woman testing positive after I believe 18 months after infection. There are some who dispute this.

My advice would be test at 3 months and be happy. Go again at 6months and if negative then forget about it because it really is negative.

Archived