Movies that still shock/stand test of time....??

Guest baldrick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a related note, as Johnny Knoxville is one of the stars, has anyone seen John Water's last movie, 'A Dirty Shame' which is basically about perversion? Absolutely astounding stuff, the DVD is full of great extras too and well worth looking out for on your next Pantip/Fortune trip. It's a kind of parody of the 'Dawn of the Dead' genre, with sex addicts replacing the zombies. If you can imagine Tracy Ullman as a housewife/mother who has a cunniingus obsession and at one point picks up a water bottle with her twat while her daughter, Selma Blair, with a Chesty Morgan size prosthetic - very well done, even when naked you can't see the joins! - who is shagging everyone in sight while father/husband Chris Isaak (!!) struggles to cope, then you will probably enjoy it!! Knoxville is a kind of sex guru, Ray Ray. Patty Hearst is in it too!

Let's go sexing ......

There are a plethora of movies that SHOCK. Scum and Maniac have been mentioned. But do these stand the "test of time?" Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a cult classic. Often played as a one time midnight showing in the Bay Area.

My nod (shock & time wise) goes to:

The Thing (From Another World) - 1951

I was 12 yo when I first saw this movie, and people actually fled the theater at points. The film relies on the unseen rather than the seen for its power, and as such, it is almost unbearably suspenseful.

James Arness, Marshall Dillon of the "Gunsmoke" days plays the alien.

A remake, or many consider an update, was released in 1982 with Kurt Russell. Good enough, but pales to the original.

Archived