Oh my, oh my ...

Flashermac

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While i have enjoyed living in Thailand, I will always be weary of a country that is less than democratic from a personal safety, fairness and due process standpoints...

This is a guy who would have been behind bars given his history and he would not have been in the position to kill these two tourists.

It seems like the locals and the community knew of his character and his violent behavorial past but people were just too damn afraid and fearful (rightfully so) to complain or actually testify against him earlier as he should had already been in the criminal justice pipeline...

So he goes on to function and live out in the open through intimidation, oppression, and bullying of people around him but in a backdrop society where two people are not clearly equal regardless of what status they have or social standing..

These preventable murders were caused by a less than democratic society where individuals and the powerful rule the roost instead of a functioning and enforcing democracy.

This example represents much more than just two murders; whether he is found guilty or not really doesn't change or impact the environment of what lead to the murders in the first place...

The front end is where the energies and focus should be long term and less so on making a big deal of what the verdict will be...

The verdict will not change the tactics that the rich, powerful, and more fortunate use to their advantage in functioning in a less than democratic society...

CB

Influential folks can get away with a lot in the west too ... e.g. OJ Simpson, the Kennedy cousins and their rape trials. But it is almost never this blatant and so much "in your face".

I know a lot of Thais who hate this sort of thing, but simply cannot do anything about it. If the PM really cared anything about Thailand's image abroad, he would see that justice is served. Don't count on it.

:(

But you had to cite people who everyone knew nationally as well as people who were in the top 1% or 2% of that society.

But i am talking about a fairly large segment of folks here in Thai society who would be characterized as nobodies in america ruling and wielding their power above or outside the the law...

These type of people would be reeled in under a democratic society. They would be treated no different than you or I...

These types of people are the ones we are much more apt to run into as we go about doing business in LOS which causes a servere disdavantage to the commoner. The likelihood of dealing with the 1% of either society is incredibly small...

In the west, we all would treated and process the same minus the very very top which causes a level playing field for the vast majority of us; not so here....

As an average guy in the street, we are much more likely to actual face situations of unfair dealings, injustices and blatant wrong doings in thailand or any nondemocratic country than in the West...

CB

Sigh...God, that just turns my stomach....that shitty people get away with their shitty deeds makes my head go up in flames! :onfire:

Let's hope that, by some chance, this fuckhead gets what's coming to him...if not in this trial, then in some dark alley somewhere. I generally abhor violence (seems pointless, in most cases), but I'm also from Texas, so I believe that some people just need killin'...

monkey39

CB said

"But i am talking about a fairly large segment of folks here in Thai society who would be characterized as nobodies in america ruling and wielding their power above or outside the the law...

These type of people would be reeled in under a democratic society. They would be treated no different than you or I..."

I am not so sure that this is entirely true.

In the US you have many mafia types and gangs that run certain communities with virtual impunity. Locals often wont testify against them out of fear and they know that the police can't do that much against them.

Yes I think Thailand is worse but in the US it probably depends a lot on where you live as to whether you feel like you live in a democracy.

Zorro said:

In the US you have many mafia types and gangs that run certain communities with virtual impunity. Locals often wont testify against them out of fear and they know that the police can't do that much against them. ...

John Gotti?

Probably the most powerful Mafioso in recent history.

Nickname "The Teflon Don".

Tried, convicted (due in no small part to underlings who testified against him), sentenced, died in the joint.

I believe that there is a constant pressure on these guys and on the gangs. While it is hard to get them sometimes (LA gangs, for example), there is a relentless pursuit by police. The little shits, equivalents to that cop in Kanchanaburi, get away with diddly-squat.

Nobody with a history like his gets bail in the US!

Archived