Barbecuing (grilling for you southerners)

Pom_Jao_Choo

If you mean like a weber charcoal grill, then I would say not very popular. I can't remeber seeing one in BKK either. My best friend who is a farang lives in Udon, and made his own bbq out of brick. He made one before that out of a metal barrel cut it half.

Z

Buy a clay fire pot in the street market and pick up a metal grill while you are at it. easy to find and use. ( just dont plan on moving it for a while after it heats up.

I have a big Weber Kettle that I brought from the US. It comes disasembled and packed in a strong box so I just checked it as luggage and it arrived in perfect shape. I got the Weber cause it slow cooks like an oven and you can control the temp well.

If you need to buy something locally, I recommend you find a shop that makes custom stainless kitchen equipment; they are all over Thailand. They'll make you a nice grill, to your specs, for a reasonable price. They can also make you an oil drum type grill.

If you're really into BBQ, check the internet for designs and have a kick ass unit custom made.

How safe is the charcoal around Thailand, anyway? Most of what I see on the street appears to be recycled lumber scrap, which makes me concerned about toxic contamination from preservatives, lead paint, ect, ect.

Maybe that's the secret of why the "gai yang" tastes so special.

Hmmmm, don't have an answer to that one, but a legitimate concern.

The charchoal I buy in Chiang Mai is made from coconut shells and is really good stuff. It comes in hexagonal bars with a hole in the middle and is really dense. It burns for hours and gets really hot. I also have a source for wood chips that are scraps from all the wood carving factories.

If you want to be completely safe, you can get charcoal imported from the US at Villa. Fooken expensive though.

Can find a gas BBQ around.. around 8000B for a basic one.. Get them at @ease at Seri, HomePro, Emporium etc. Foreign brand charcoal ones are also available or you can get the thai made ones. The most common thai one's are the 1/2 barrel for about 300B. I BBQ all the time and love it.

Thanks WYD.

I will look this up when i finally return.

Meant to get the common small clay pot on my last stay and never got around to it. Cent had an entertaining tail about his.

The local Thai models might do if their not too large.

I dont doubt that charcoal gives a better taste, but a gas grill is just more easily used and maintained.

Thanx to all posters.

Archived