stomach ulcers

thai3

Had this problem all year, constant inflamation and discomfort. Been on Axid and now Losec.Endoscopy revealed no bacteria present which causes most ulcers. I almost never eat fried/greasy/spicey food,don't smoke and have recently even given up boozing.

Anyone have any experience of stomach problems? what did you find caused the problem, did you find any alternative therapy which worked? The anti acids only see to help, but not to cure the problem.-peter

Hi Pete,

I've had an on-off stomach ulcer for years. Touch wood, no discomfort for about 18 months.

When I first had it diagnosed the doctor told me that for as long as you drink or smoke - it will come back. And he was right.

However I find I feel it worst when I'm under any kind of stress - which thankfully isn't all that often.

I find that Tagamet works pretty well for me - two tablets a day before meals. But I stay off the Indian curries. Any spicy food is bad for an ulcer. Drink loads of milk, eat loads of yoghurt - works wonders!

Hi Pete,

I've had an on-off stomach ulcer for years. Touch wood, no discomfort for about 18 months.

When I first had it diagnosed the doctor told me that for as long as you drink or smoke - it will come back. And he was right.

However I find I feel it worst when I'm under any kind of stress - which thankfully isn't all that often.

I find that Tagamet works pretty well for me - two tablets a day before meals. But I stay off the Indian curries. Any spicy food is bad for an ulcer. Drink loads of milk, eat loads of yoghurt - works wonders!

Phil,

I think I can put it down to drinking too much, especially when in LOS, stress from work and moving house a lot in recent years.

Have not tried the Tagamet, so might give it a go.I read that Thailand has the lowest amount of stomach ulcers and other stomach problems. This is meant to be due to the peppers eaten from an early age.I think 50 is too late to start eating them though.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Hi Pete,

I find I feel it worst when I'm under any kind of stress - which thankfully isn't all that often.

I find that Tagamet works pretty well for me - !

I don't think Tagamet will help you as it is an H2 inhibitor like Axid. A Proton pump inhibitor like Losec plus carafate should give pretty good results. Staying away from alcohol, caffeine, smoking, etc are routine instructions. I am not aware of any protective benefits from ingestion of peppers.

I never heard of carafate before, I will ask my doctor. Someone on nanapong suggested a look at http://www.drmirkin.com/ seems this doc has a radio spot in the US. He has some intersting things to say on stomach problems. He says there are other organisms than HP which can cause gastritis and ulcers, so he treats everyone with antibiotics even if negative to HP.Trouble is in getting docs(UK) to give you what you want,they always know best.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by tomc12:

I don't think Tagamet will help you as it is an H2 inhibitor like Axid. A Proton pump inhibitor like Losec plus carafate should give pretty good results.

I don't know of any other organisms that have been shown to be a cause of stomach ulcers besides HP. Some doctors feel that HP doesn't always show up on the tests and thus, treatment should be given for it regardless of whether you test positive for it. Since 90% of ulcers are caused by HP, this rationale is hard to fault.

Carafate forms an adherent complex on the ulcer which seems to protect the ulcer bed from further digestion by pepsin and acid, giving the ulcer time to heal.

Went in a few times for this, had upper GI's (Gastro-intestinal?) done once or twice, and took a daily dose of (pri)Losec for a few months. After seeing 2 doctors, I happened on a sovereign remedy and have had it very rarely since, even when I'm stressed out. I changed my diet to include lots of fresh vegetables and fruit; and cut down on the meat. Try a green salad each day for a week if you've nothing to lose.

Originally posted by Peter G:

[QB]Phil,

I read that Thailand has the lowest amount of stomach ulcers and other stomach problems. This is meant to be due to the peppers eaten from an early age.I think 50 is too late to start eating them though.-peter

Ya know, that sounds pretty counter intuitive to me, given that traditional Western medicine holds up spicy foods as an irritant. Admittedly, I'm not a healthcare professional, but I've heard exactly the opposite concerning the Thais. Admittedly, the topic came up during a drunken discussion with some mates at a Pattaya bar, as well, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. I thought that quite a large percentage of Thais suffered from a stomach ailment of some sort, precisely because of their penchant for searing the insides of ther mouths (and GI linings).

Mate -- I wouldn't try taking a bunch of chilis at 50 if I were you, anyway. I get heartburn just thinking of eating them, and I'm half that.

This is from the Dr Mirkin site:-peter

Research show that peppers protect the stomach from injury and cancer. Aspirin causes stomach bleeding in almost everyone who takes it. In one study, people who took peppers before they took aspirin/ had far less bleeding and irritation than those who did not pretreat with peppers. In another study, Chinese people who eat peppers have far fewer cases of stomach ulcers and stomach cancers.

I'm Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Fitness.

* 1) Lizbeth Lopez-Carrillo. American Journal of Epidemiology March, 1994.

* 2) KG Yeoh, JY Kang, I Yap, R Guan, CC Tan, A Wee, CH Teng. Chili protects against aspirin-induced gastroduodenal mucosal injury in humans. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 40: 3 (MAR 1995):580-583.

* 3) JY Kang, KG Yeoh, HP Chia, HP Lee, YW Chia, R Guan, I Yap. Chili - Protective factor against peptic ulcer? Digestive Diseases and Sciences 40: 3 (MAR 1995):576-579.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by titmouse:

Originally posted by Peter G:

[QB]Phil,

I read that Thailand has the lowest amount of stomach ulcers and other stomach problems. This is meant to be due to the peppers eaten from an early age.I think 50 is too late to start eating them though.-peter

Ya know, that sounds pretty counter intuitive to me, given that traditional Western medicine holds up spicy foods as an irritant. Admittedly, I'm not a healthcare professional, but I've heard exactly the opposite concerning the Thais. Admittedly, the topic came up during a drunken discussion with some mates at a Pattaya bar, as well, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. I thought that quite a large percentage of Thais suffered from a stomach ailment of some sort, precisely because of their penchant for searing the insides of ther mouths (and GI linings).

Mate -- I wouldn't try taking a bunch of chilis at 50 if I were you, anyway. I get heartburn just thinking of eating them, and I'm half that.

Archived