Luk pod

AF16

Thanks.

Seems like my FIL have gotten some problems with his lungs, caughing blood, but my wife don't know the english word for the illness.

I were afraid it would be TB.

He went to the doctor recently and the doctor said that he would be in a lot of pain in about two months time.

Are TB treatable these days? I'm afraid all I know about TB is that Doc Holliday died from it, but that were about 100 + years ago in the wild west.

TB is treatable. The treatment is not expensive. But the treatment will probably mean months of taking medication, so it requires some discipline of the patient, something VERY difficult for Thais. If the patient does not have the discipline to follow the doctor's advice, the treatment probably won"t work. And if he is coughing blood, he may very well infect members of the family (if they are not yet infected).

But better first check out what he really has. Doctors in Thailand speak English, at least some English.

From what I understand he is disiplined in some areas, taking medication/vitamins is not one of them, and he had to be forced to go see the doctor in the first place.

I have a talk with the wife and make sure she understand how importaint it is, especially if she want us to go visit him with our child.

I thought that Rohk Phod is rather general, something wrong wth the lungs, but not knowing what.

TB is wannarohk and IMO well understood.

• 3 weeks later...

[color:"blue"]A guy at work had it. He was months coughing and hacking away. I used to sit beside him at lunch, just thought it was because he smoked 2 packs aday. Months later I found out he had TD. Pissed me off. Luckily he did not give it to the entire lunch room

[/color]

When I was 25 going to Germany I had a TB test and it was positive. What happened was (found out much later), a Thai woman (here in the USA) had it and I sat with her a couple of times, also ate the food she cooked a few times. I did not have other symptoms but the doctor made me take medication anyway for 6 months. Now I am in my 50s, the test still comes out positive but no TB. So having a contact with the ones with TB does not mean you will catch it.

However, it really pissed me off too about that woman's actions, she knew that she could spread it, I should forgive her now, she died from the TB right here in the USA.

Jasmine

Archived