Scammed by a farang!!

simon43

Ranger,do you remember that guy when we met in that bar in Soi post Office who was bragging how much money him and his mates had made on the stock exchange and showing us the photos of the boat they'd bought.Very fishy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Cathouse one night, some Brit guy slid into our company and when he fucked off I got landed with his bill. I've seen him in there since as well. STH - the 'financial advisor' with the suntan if you recall.

Another scamming, skanking wanker. Trust no-one.

shotover said:

Today saw a farang sitting on the walkbridge leading from Pantip over Petchaburi Road playing a didgeridoo (large aborigine musical instrument) and collecting coins. His hat held at least 300 baht at the time I passed.

He seemed to be collecting more money than the 3 Thais begging on the same walkbridge, though maybe the Thais know to stash their money whenever they collect so it doesn't appear they are collecting a lot.

I think he had the right marketing Idea, presented himself not as a typical run of the mill bum but a "western bum" left larger money in his cup so that people would see that the appropriate reward was larger than for his Thai counterparts.

In the tourism industry here, workers constantly glean out any smaller coins or coppers from their tip jars so that tourists don't get the idea that those amounts are appropriate rewards.

Hugh_Hoy said:

So there I was, sitting at the bar in the Pink Panther having a good time chatting with an Aussie navy seaman. Had seen him there the night before. He must've been about 20. A few of his pals had made it to another bar and he was up for this dancer he'd barfined the night before. Problem was, he was low on baht. I volunteered to loan him 150 for the barfine. He was ecstatic; said he'd repay me the next night. That was 1986, Soi Cowboy. Haven't seen him since. I've gotten over it :-)

Hugh (mak)

P.S. This wasn't a scam; I volunteered to "loan" him the money, figuring he's a young guy serving his country, big money for him, small for me; and 90% sure I wouldn't see him again.

GEEEZ, that really was a philanthropic

gesture. Sometimes the best intentions bite you on the ankle. My "charter" bar in 1988 was the Pink Panther and have had numerious liasions there over the years, but to the best of my recollection PP is located in Phatphong

not Cowboy. Not to worry, sometimes i'm con-fused what city i'm in. :)

Pale_Rider said:

GEEEZ, that really was a philanthropic

gesture. Sometimes the best intentions bite you on the ankle. My "charter" bar in 1988 was the Pink Panther and have had numerious liasions there over the years, but to the best of my recollection PP is located in Phatphong

not Cowboy. Not to worry, sometimes i'm con-fused what city i'm in. :)

Yep. The PP is, from what I understand, in Patpong. However, there was a Pink Panther in SC in '86 between Moonshine Joint and Our Place. (Our Place wasn't there then, and Top Cat was above what is now Midnight.) It could've been that the PP moved from SC to Patpong in those two intervening years. ::

Hugh (mak)

Dude_Le_Rude said:

Gee, I wonder if that Nigerian guy I met on the street will ever pay me the $20,000,000 USD on my 10,000 baht investment??

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long ago? You know, "Patience is a virtue".

Hugh (mak)

oh, Hugh! (mak)

I lost THAT virtue a long time ago, too.

There was a time, about 5 years ago, I had bar fined a gal in G-spot, and I was waiting for her to change clothes. An African guy sat down next to me and started talking about money and investments and how he was starting a business and so on. 2 minutes into the talk, he starts asking if i want to invest.

I told him my wife handles the money in the family.

He asked "Where is your wife?"

I said, "She will be here very soon."

The look on the bar girls face was priceless when this guy started talking to her about this shit.

Getting back to the original post, I imagine being in LOS makes people put their guard down a bit. But would you ever loan 50$ to a total stranger if you met him in a bar??

I do like the guy who paid a serviceman's bar fine! that is very cool!

There are some pretty dodgy farangs in the bar scene. Both customers and bar owners. Got talking to a few bar owners in Ptty one time. One guy, a scammer, was going on and on about how he'd had a messy divorce but was due half of a really expensive villa worth hundreds of thousands of pounds. Wasn't going to do anything about it though.It was obvious that this was part of his spiel to indicate that he was good for funds as there was money in the pipeline if he wanted it. ::

Next he went on about how he'd devised a little scam where he'd sell people legitimate businesses but sell them on repeatedly to others. It was an English speaking airport taxi pick up business. He reckoned there was that much work going that it wasn't a problem and each of them thought they were getting a unique business. So, after shooting the breeze, downing a few brewskis and suggesting other possible businesses he may be interested in he then asked me if I wanted to go into partnership with him in a new business! Err right, after he's just told me that he's diddled all these others. :(

Archived