Scammed by a farang!!

simon43

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon, sounds like the disappointment that someone deceived you pinches more than the loss of money. Hope your good intentions are rewarded in the future.

Today saw a farang sitting on the walkbridge leading from Pantip over Petchaburi Road playing a didgeridoo (large aborigine musical instrument) and collecting coins. His hat held at least 300 baht at the time I passed. My friend reports seeing him a few days earlier on Sukhumvit Soi 4 playing a set of small drums (bongos?) and also collecting money.

He seemed to be collecting more money than the 3 Thais begging on the same walkbridge, though maybe the Thais know to stash their money whenever they collect so it doesn't appear they are collecting a lot.

Sorry to hear you lost your money.

I think it's cool though that you actually tried to help a fellow out though. And the price isn't that expensive on the chance that it might be true.

Funny thing, I get hit up by Thais. It's about 7 or 8 times I've been approached by a Thai on the street saying they are down here for a convention from Chiang Mai or wherever. They don't have any money and they need bus fair or train fair to get back home. One even had event brochures and stuff.

I never forked over any money because I volunteered to go with them to the bus station or train terminal and buy their ticket, but they didn't want to bother me so much, they just wanted the money. Needless to say I didn't give them the money, but if they did take me to the bus/train station, I would have paid for a one-way ticket :)

Again, think it's cool you thought positive rather than negative!

<<burp>>

Guest lazyphil

I lent 10k Baht to a German guy in Patong and took his passport as a garentee :(....cut a long story short, Thai police came knocking at my door wanting his passport, I had noticed after having a quick look his visa expired 6 months ago, he had several Patong hoteliers after him since he checked out without settling the bill (s) last I saw of him was in Patong jail with a piss pot in the corner of his shared cell :)....goes without saying i didn't get my money back, he said his dad was sending it over ::....chalk it down to experience and learn from it!

This sounds plausible. I have had Farangs hit me up with hard luck stories before, but I have never lent them a single satang (probably one of the few areas in life where experience in banking comes in handy - you learn to say "no" early).

What surprises me is that he did this for a measly THB1,500. Well maybe I shouldn't be surprised; it is not uncommon to see people here run scams for small amounts (risking good middle class salaries). It must be something in the air.

Your point about someone really in trouble and needing help is the real tragedy here. It is one of those tragedies in life for which there is no solution.

Now your bar serves real Cuban rum and cigars, right? Well maybe I will help make you up in profits though patronage what this German scammed by appealing to your good nature.

So there I was, sitting at the bar in the Pink Panther having a good time chatting with an Aussie navy seaman. Had seen him there the night before. He must've been about 20. A few of his pals had made it to another bar and he was up for this dancer he'd barfined the night before. Problem was, he was low on baht. I volunteered to loan him 150 for the barfine. He was ecstatic; said he'd repay me the next night. That was 1986, Soi Cowboy. Haven't seen him since. I've gotten over it :-)

Hugh (mak)

P.S. This wasn't a scam; I volunteered to "loan" him the money, figuring he's a young guy serving his country, big money for him, small for me; and 90% sure I wouldn't see him again.

Archived