Bars closed in late July???

fatbastard33

I will be in BKK on Thursday 21 July and Friday 22 July. Around this date there is a Thai public holiday (Budha's birhtday??)

It seems this is a moveable feast and is likely to mean the bars etc. are shut.

I remember being in Bkk several years ago for the equivalent public holiday and the bars shut down big time.

Can anybody advise me of the exact dates and whether the bars etc. wil be shut.

Cheers

Fatbastard33

According to the thread at the top of nightlife "Thai Public Holidays - 2005" Buddhist Lent is on Sat. July 23. Bars will most likely be shut that day.

Buddhist Lent Day is on Thursday 21st July which is a public holiday. This is the start of 3 months of study and meditation for monks and when all Buddhist's are susposed to be "extra good".

Therefore a very good chance bars will be closed that day and no drink on sale. So suggest you go light a candle or something.....

The day before (20th) is Asarnha Bucha Day and is a full moon. It was the first day He got with his deciples following enlightment apparently.

I read on another website that Asarnha Bucha Day is a public holiday as well. Bars and other businesses still open on this day? And would either of these days have any effect on trying to get a ride back to BKK from Pattaya via taxi?

gtharm said:

would either of these days have any effect on trying to get a ride back to BKK from Pattaya via taxi?

My calendar came free with TV Pool so it may well be right, in which case 21st and 22nd July are holidays.

I have never known taxis to be affected by holidays.

Archived