Need eyeglasses: Pattaya or BKK ?

pattaya127

Hey, Pete

i think Charoen opticals, a big franchise, still have a 2 for the price of one. They are across the street from Leng Kee, next to the fruit market on Pattaya Klang. I got 2 pairs for 50$ last year, and the whole eye-testing thing lasted 5 minutes, then picking up the glasses the same day.

I was at Lotus on Sukhumvit today. There is an optical shop there as well. I brought in my prescription from the States, which they checked for free. I used an old pair of sunglasses ... prescription was outdated; but, the frame was in mint condition. They popped in bifocal lenses in less than 30 minutes for 500 Baht. I'm wearing them as I pen this ... great deal!

BTW, Leng Kee has a new neon sign up ... brightens up the place ... very nice looking.

"Avoid Top Charoen"

That was more or less the advice of the ophthalmologist who examined me a couple of weeks ago in Bangkok at the Rutnin Eye Hospital when I asked about who to see regarding optometrists in Pattaya. She understandably had no recommendations re Pattaya. but suggested I see a long established shop. So per advice of some long stayer farangs here I went to Pattaya Optical on Pattaya Klang.

I'm not entirely sure I like the results of the prescription. Really the only problem seems to be looking at the CRT. It seems fine at night in artificial light but I think I'm getting some eye strain using the computer during daylight - i.e. with less than homogenous lighting, so I may go back and have them review the prescription.

Costs? Exam at Rutnin was 810 baht and took about 2 hours as you go to station #1, 2, etc.

Glasses - progressive lenses and frames, 8000 baht.

-redwood

I have my eyes examined every two years by an opthamologist. I have no eye problems other than glasses.

I always take/bring my prescription with me to LOS.

Whether it is Bangkok or Pattaya, I just walk in and ask for the cheapest pair of glasses they have. I always get an eye exam with that computer/machine - then I compare it with my prescription. Almost always, it is the same.

Some shops, I leave as price it too high. Others have good price if one can bargain correctly. Some are very stylish, some plain.

Interestlngly, the first pair I purchased years ago on Sukhumvit, broke. The hinge/arm broke off after years of hard use. I put them aside, and on next trip to Bangkok, I walk in and ask for repair. Now, I haven't been in this shop in years. They fix for free. No receipt. No nothing. I just state I purchased them at this shop. And the cheaper copper colored ones are not available where I come from so people have told me they look "great".

One pair, I paid near 65 Euro for a "titanium" frame pair. But all the rest I pay about 25 Euro for each pair any/all shops I purchase.

Avoid Top Charoen.

This is my advice too.

They will overcharge you and the quality is very poor. I speak from my own experience and from GF's experience.

A very good (and reasonably priced) optical shop in Bangkok is opposite World Trade Center, behind Bangkok Bank, the name is Wellington Optical (or Washington Optical - they have 2 branches, the other branch is near Silom, one branch is Wellington, the other branch is Washington, but I forgot which one is which name)

• 11 months later...

the franchises are the best place to buy for consistant price and quality. I bought titanium frames and great lenses (2 for 1 deal) at Top Charoen , the glassses I have ever owned. The eye testing was perfect. I had four beautiful, helpful assistants aid me in my decision on frames.They are located all around BKK e.g soi3 Sukhumvit. I bought mine at TC located opposite side to Emporium. They also issue you with a card to access your details when you return.

However it is Thailand so shop around!!

Monty

Archived