Cleanliness is next to...

itsmedave

While sitting in a traffic jam tonight on Asoke, I watched a Thai man (who was probably gay, because we all know that 99% of Thai guys are gay wifebeating alcoholics) walk up to a puddle of water in the street left over from a rainstorm 5 hours earlier.

He then stopped and stuck his hand into the water and swished it around, as if to wash his hand. Then he wiped it on his pants and walked away. Now, while mentally calculating how many zero's would be in the number they'd have to pay me to willingly stick my hand into Bangkok streetwater, another thought came to mind...

Just what ungodly germs from hell must have been on this guy's hand, that he felt it was a step up to shove his hand into that putrid puddle of muck???

Which calls up this question: What other questionable acts of hygiene have you witnessed in Thailand?

eating on the floor

the normal way of eating for most Thais, it's hard to teach them at least to put a newspaper under the food utensils (because the average Thai household doesn't have newspapers), or a mat (they do have mats)

not washing your hands before you eat

Thais wash their hands AFTER the meal. Thats typical for Thai culture: important is that things look beautiful (you leave after meal with clean hands), not important is if things are done well. The guy you watched is a good example for this, too.

throwing used toilet paper into (or next to) a trash bin, not in the toilet bowl - very common in formerly poor countries (Brazil, Taiwan)

swimming in the khlongs (popular with kids in Thonburi), or washing clothes in the khlongs - some people even swim in the Chao Phraya River, probably cleaner than the khlongs

sharing your swimming pool with your buffalo - now I am not sure whether this is unhygienic but I definitely felt uncomfortable when they led the buffalo into the pool where we were all swimming (Isarn village)

burning your trash (including plastics) 2 meters away from your living quarters - gf's family moved it when I told them it gives the kids cancer, they honestly didn't know

having sex with strangers without a condom - now this tops it all, really unbelievable someone would do this! ::

I guess it depends on what was on his hand before he felt the need to wash it. maybe dog shit. then i would find this behavior totally aceptable. Now imagine the germs on the top a beer bottle that we stick in our mouths, certainly makes drinking out of a glass an aceptable alternative. BUT imagine the technique used to wash those glasses, i doubt many bars have glass washing machines...more than likely they just swish the glasses around in a bucket with other glasses that could have potentially been uses by a hep b carrier. Not only that ...i wonder what that buckey was used for last? what about the girl who kindly wiped the moist towlett on your face, i hope she didn't just drop a shit and used her hand to clean her backside with the water squirter? the list is endless. Just don't get me started on the handrails at the BTS station.

Jack said <<I guess it depends on what was on his hand before he felt the need to wash it. maybe dog shit. then i would find this behavior totally aceptable.>>

Why do you suppose a man would be walking down a major thoroughfare with dog shit on his hands? I do not find sauntering down Asoke with dogshit on your hands totally acceptable. How often do you find yourself tooling around town with dogshit on your hands? (unless "Asoke" is Thai for "dogshit walking avenue"

Guest lazyphil

Theres a turkish mobile kebab van that parks near me, went for one sometime ago, saw his take a piss behind a bush behind the van and he walked straight back in van to prepare my kebab, he didn't know I saw this H&S violation......I threw it in a bin cycling home and I was pretty drunk too and hungrey :cussing::banghead: :onfire:

Archived