Dock Ellis

Steve

I remember Ellis as a pretty good pitcher.

I also remember his buddy Vida Blue who was a great, great pitcher and a real colorful and likeble personality. Vida went thru lots of drug problems (primarily cocaine)as his career wound down.

He seems unable to shake his alcohol drinking and driving problems. Last month, he was sentenced to a 6 month jail stint in CA for his 3rd or 4th DWI offense. Hope he gets clean.

Pretty good pitcher and decent athlete (read: he could hit for a pitcher) for the Pirates. He used to give the Phils fits, if I recall...

I read a book on some of the true baseball characters over the years (Jay Johnstone, Mickey Hatcher, Mark Fidrydch, Yogi, etc.), but I can't remember the name. I think Dock Ellis was mentioned.

lazyphil said:

dont remember him cs, sorry!

Haha..LP, I'm sure you wouldn't. Imagine someone bowling a cricket match while on LSD and in the process of doing so, no one scoring a run? I do recall a story of a footballer who had mental issues and they would chant 'there are only two ###' instead of the usual "there is only one...."

Sarisin, wasn't Ty Cobb possibly a schizophrenic? He was definitely suffering from some sort of mental issue.

You are right about Ty Cobb. There was a good movie on his life with Tommy Lee Jones playing the lead, if I recall. I love the old movies about sports.

By the way, I am really enjoying listening to WIP 610 Philly Sports Talk here in the LOS on the internet. Some dropouts and too many Infinity Broadcasting commercials, but it is great. Feels like I am back in the Delaware Valley - just gotta find some scrapple for breakfast. :)

Archived