Any class between economy and business

chaseq1

I recently returned from a trip to LOS. My flight was with Cathay Pacific which I believe is a fine airline. However, I have grown weary of the long-haul flight from San Francisco to BKK via Hong Kong in their economy class. Unfortunately, moving up to business class means a jump in ticket price from about $1000 to $4000 and I really don't travel frequently enough in order to obtain free upgrades. Is there any middle ground offered by any airline between economy and business, such as economy-plus that is around $2000 that provides wider seats and more leg room than the sardine situation in economy?

Seattle to Bangkok is ~$2800 in business class on China Airlines. I assume SFO is similar.

EVA's economy deluxe class is also an option as others have said -- and a very popular one from the west coast of the US to anywhere in SE Asia (you can fly directly into many SE Asian cities after a convenient connection in Taipei). It's usually about 20-25% more than economy class. You'll get economy class service with a seat that about mid-way between economy and an old fashioned business class. It's only a little bit more spacious but the effect can be drastic.

danno6 said:

yea, either eva - evergreen deluxe, or go to LA and Thai flys a non-stop to BKK with a premium economy class.

are you sure about that? i thought this premium economy class concept TG has introduced for the flight to New York with the Airbus A340-500.

to LA they still fly with the old B747 with traditional (and old!)seating. there are plans to switch to Airbus A340-600 in the near future but on those there is no premium economy, just normal ecomony, biz, first

chelseafan said:

On the same note, what are my chances of upgrading for free when I get to the airport on the outbound journey, are there any tips and tricks that people could share. I'm travelling with Eva Air in economy.

The premier site for all things flying related, especially getting the best price, is Flyertalk.com

Really, you should check this out. Tips on upgrades, latest discounts/specials/promotions, giveaways, etc.

Archived