Coffee Shop at the Grace Hotel- Portal to Hell

Evel_Penivel

i cant figure out what happened at the Grace coffee shop ,it was very good some years back , and then they remodelled the interior and then came the crackdown on late closing dives.

Now its like a tomb ,with a few old heiffers floating around.

I guess all the hookers are now strutting back and forth along suk road . It was all underground now its all in your face.

Blame the thai governemnt and their early closing schemes .

Maybe they dont like arabs anymore .

Had some cracking girls out of there many years ago ,but now its history .

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil,

methinks as an exercice of style U went well over the top in your negative comments. U personnally only spent a single minute there and U came up with so inspired comments??

OK, first understand I definetely prefer spending money in Sirocco than in Grace but from what I saw lately, Grace is again an almost all arab hang out, perhaps not quite the top of the oil barrel type, but not all that terrifying looking. Girls are indeed ugly and the place is indeed to avoid. Lol! still it's much more dull than what U hint.

Was much better at the beginning of the beloved New Social Order when it was on of the only places open all night. A much more mixed crowd was hanging there and spent quite a few rather fucked up nights in that coffee shop.

Nigel was another regular. U imagine how classy it used to be!

neener:

I did indeed take some stylistic liberties to make my report entertaining. I don't really believe the guys there could stun an orangutan with their breathe, but I wasn't writing a police report or a Ph.D dissertation..

As you said yourself, it's a place to avoid and that was the message I wanted to get across. Whether the people there are very scary or very, very, very scary is a minor point.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to everyone who had encouraging words about my report from the coffee shop at the Grace Hotel. I plan to do a Sukhumvit Suite and the next installment will be Beer Garden Soi 7 - Tunnels of Purgatory, to be followed by Nana Car Park - A Lot of Sex. I would like to give my final installment and piece de resistance the title Eden Club - Rear Gate to Paradise. but I don't know if I am able to write it. Although I'm something of a cunning linguist, an author would need the all the literary skills of Homer, Shakespeare, Tolstoi and James Joyce to do justice to the Eden Club. "I am not worthy, I am not worthy," as Wayne and Garth used to say. :worship:

I'm also considering one called Go Tell the Mongers - the Battle of Thermae, but like Leonidas and the Spartans, it would mostly be ancient history. And the West looks likely to lose at Thermae just as it did at Thermopylae, except this time to the Japanese rather than the Persians.

In the meantime, I've written another piece based on the Grace. But so no one would confuse this new humorous effort with the gritty realism and socially awareness in the style of Michael Moore that characterized Portal to Hell, I've posted the new piece to the Board Bar.

"could stun an orangutan with their breath"

Okay so some of the guys have fucked up grills. :o Otherwise known as summer teeth (some are black, some are brown, some are missing)...Believe it or not, things have actually improved the past year or so. Previously they had breath that could Gag a Maggot.

I'm off to read your other stories :D :D

• 4 months later...

When I was in BKK in October, I wanted to check out the Grace to follow up the report I did earlier in the year. This time, I never even made it half-way down Soi 3 before I got in a dispute with some (I assume) Nigerians. Let's just say they were selling but I definitely wasn't buying, so they figured I didn't have any reason to be on Soi 3.

I did what I always do when a stranger - the kind that isn't going to say anything of interest to me - approaches me on the street. I pretended I didn't hear him. I mean, what was he going to say? Offer to split $417 million with me? Sell me yaba or fake gems? Discuss the state of the world? Ask me what time it was? I wasn't interested in conversing with him on those or any other subjects.

But he was adamant. He ran towards me, but I couldn't catch what he was saying. Since I couldn't ignore him any longer, I used a line that's gotten me out of many situations in the past - "Me not the English speak." He didn't seem to accept that answer and said something about not taking pictures, even though I didn't have a camera with me. I guess he and his friends were so wigged out they thought I was walking down the street in a hostile manner (or I might be DEA or similar). Or else it was the opening act of scam I couldn't begin to fathom. A strongarm robbery attempt is even out of line for Soi 3.

The two other guys began moving into position and I noticed with some unease that they were coming from different angles - one in front, one behind, one from the side. That's usually a sign they plan to rush you as team, also that they've done this kind of thing before. It's impossible to defend yourself barehanded against that kind of attack, even if your name is Li (Bruce or Jet), much less Evil Penevil. I wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance in Soi 3.

If I'm going to go out a la Davey Crockett or General Custer, I want it to be over a more significant issue than reccing a fleabag hotel. (Wrecking the Grace might have been worth it). I made a strategic retreat, luckily not a fighting one. Anyway, I later heard from a friend that the Grace had dried up during October, a combination of police pressure and RamadamaDingDong.

Soi 3 just isn't a good place for guys like me. In the future, I'll stick to friendlier turf, like Soi 7/1 and Soi 18 Soi Cowboy, NEP and the Sukhumvit Stroll. Reminds me of the line from Live and Let Die when a cab driver dropped off Roger Moore at a restaurant in Harlem - "Man, I hope you make friends fast," the cabbie said. I don't think I have that knack, at least not on Soi 3.

I'm sorry this update wasn't more entertaining. I hope to get back to my old style with a piece on Nana Car Park. My Grandad's advice about funny stories was that someone had to get stomped or fucked - otherwise there's nothing to laugh at. Nana Car Park is good on both accounts.

Evel_Penivel said:

Soi 3 just isn't a good place for guys like me.

I'm not suggesting that the Grace is a good pick up place, rather dreadful as is the Bamboo Bar. Your original post is quite right.

Of all of the times I've walked up and down Soi 3, through the little Arab areas between 5 and 3, and to Soi 7, I've never had anyone give me trouble. I'm not a big bloke by any means. Perhaps my pace is rather quick, or I was blind drunk--:) never had anyone trying to speak with / threaten me.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "guys like me"? :beer:

Archived