anyone having problems with VOIP?

thalenoi

Stuation is as follows:

The gf is in the Chumpon house whilst I am at my home in Farangland recovering from surgery for an other month.

I have a VOIP gateway in farangland on a cable connection which I can call for free from Chumpon except for local internet cost. Sometimes, mostly saturdays/sundays the quality is too bad (dial up in Chumpon). We then use a pay service such as Net2phone, last resort is mobile using 008 service.

The gf calls me twice a day from Chumpon and we spend longtime talking. I would not like to pay traditional phone fees....

The phone I use in farangland is a DECT, I use it for landline calls as wel, which means the problem does not lie with the handset. This setup works fine over 1 year now. Since last saturday however I hear her, but she does not hear me. First I though it was due to usual sat/sun problems, but this went on all week, except yesterday where all was fine until suddenly it broke again. Switching to Net2phone works fine but is not a longterm solution at 4 baht/minute and I can not call Thailand that cheaply from farangland.

I tested and restarted my VOIP equipment and all works fine, except calls from Chumpon. Calling from an other VOIP gateway in farangland works fine also.

My Chumpon PC has a down/up meter which shows only up signal to the DECT phone.

I can not identify the problem, my best guest is that something is wrong with internet communications from farangland to Thailand, but then why do N2P and other VOIP services (008) work well?

Any ideas or recent experiences?

thalenoi said:

Any ideas or recent experiences?

Yes, 4 Bt per minute is expensive.....

Go to a Thai or Chinese shop and buy an IDT AsiaConnect card(s) at 10 Euro per piece.

They sell the cards at 8.5 Euro.

The card is good for 4 1/2 hours of telephone plus your local call.

Thats 1.57 Bt per minute.

BB

008 or the "Legal" VOPi uses a direct connection to the internet outbound cable, via CAT

When your using the local dial up internet in the girls town, your sharing it with other uses, who hog the bandwidth back to the international gateway.

You'll always be struggling, until she gets a broadband connection (iPSTAR?)

DOG

Well my VOIP setup did fine yesterday (sunday) go figure :: it seems to be a hit and miss, but it worked fine every day for a month until last week :onfire:

I checked for broadband before leaving to farangland: I am more than 5km from the local ADSL box (TT&Tphone line), don't think they will install a second one just for me an a pal living closer to the main road.

Archived