Oprah over Bush

Old Hippie

Parade poll: Oprah over Bush for president

July 10, 2005 2:08 PM EDT

NEW YORK, Jul 10, 2005 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- If talk show queen Oprah Winfrey ran for U.S. president against George W. Bush she would win with 65 percent of the vote, according to a survey.

Bush was favored by only 35 percent, according to the poll of 2,395 people conducted by the magazine Parade.com.

The poll also found Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are American's favorite Hollywood couple and their split was voted the most shocking moment in recent pop-culture history by 34 percent of the respondents.

If the four "American Idol" winners competed against each other, 55 percent thought Kelly Clarkson would win, 18 percent thought Carrie Underwood would, 14 percent favored Fantasia and 13 percent thought Ruben Studdard would win.

Most of the respondents don't think expectant mom Britney Spears will be a good parent.

When asked which celebrities would raise the most well-adjusted children, Spears and Kevin Federline were tied for dead last with Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony -- both with 1 percent of the vote. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith were considered the celebrity couple most likely to have well-adjusted children at 61 percent.

Maybe I need to explain for benifit of our foreign readers...Oparah Winfrey is a 50+ black American Talk show host. She started with the man bashing bit, then moved to promoting women as their own enemies and their own saviours. Her life affirming book club and show topics are an inspirationto many. She has overcome great adversity to become the richest woman (person maybe) in show business. Frankly, I respect her. She gets my endorsement...

Yeah, I had diarea last week, and thought...I'd rather live with this for another 3 years...ah well...odd his popularity is what 40% approval or something, he won by a narrow margin, and yet few republicans (presumably some of the 60% disapproving) will say that he might have even cheated "just a little bit..." ah well, mai pen rai...

Hi,

sorry guys I don't believe the american people should elect a movie star for president - probably Britney Spears is more popular also. Ronald Reagan was never a movie star - B-actor as he was, but he was the actors' trade union leader and after that a successfull governor.

I don't like GWB either and you can mention military career, voting machines, Supreme Court, connections with bin Ladin family and a lot more. Still he's not a bad president - compare him with Carter for example. All american presidents so far have been either politicians or generals - any exceptions? - movie stars forget it.

elef

I would suggest we elect Jerry Lewis president, then the french would like us... Frankly, we need some guy with alot to lose to run for president. Maybe a young kid with his whole life ahead of him.

Actually, I am with the Wavey Gravey school of thought on this. No one understands the economy, no one will help the homeless, no one will cut taxes, no one will stop corporate/government corruption, so no one should be president... :dunno::rolleyes:

"...Still he's not a bad president ..."

I will disaggree tremendously. I think his foreign (war) policy is bad, his domestic policy concerning Social security andretirements are bad, national health care? Fuck us! he is basically a very very bad leader! Carter...? yeah, he was lame...but he was the transition from Nixion...then reagan...ohshit...basically, I see the country going to hell fastat the hands of these shit heads...

Hi KK,

"Isn't that a de facto statement? I mean, doesn't somebody in politics HAVE to be, well... a politician?"

No, look at Ike! :) I think he never even registered, so never voted. Some say also the democrats wanted him as candidate, but the republicans were first.

elef

Archived