Currency exchange & traveler's checks

Ok, traveller's checks it is...but..I'm pretty sure most banks charge a fee for issuing TCs, no? (seems like we can't win). Anyway, off to LOS in DEC with TCs hoping to find BGs and GFs who do BJ LT and not lady boys! Thanks. -Pat

BTW.. when propositoning a lady, is it "rude" to ask for proof of gender? i.e. feel the snatch?

if my memory is correct... (unlikely)

it was Amex 500 $ checks. I thought they also have 1,000

got them at a small local bank, but since I am a customer, they did not charge me the 1% usual fee.

I suppose each bank has different policies.

American Express

Don't leave home without them!

True, most banks (especially the larger ones) charge a 1% fee although it's not hard to avoid this. Check at some of the smaller banks in your area and open a checking account with one which doesn't have a fee. Also, most credit unions don't charge for TC's. BTW, Stick with AMX TC's.

ST

I would recommend that you don't change any of your money into baht untill you get here, you will get a much better rate here and the airport bank exchanges give excelent rates. Only use the major bank kiosks for currency exchange, avoid changing your TC's in hotels or with 'money changers', the rates are usually crap. BTW do you come from Jersey UK or Jersey USA? if UK, bring your money in £'s Sterling. ::

For teh first couple of months of a trip I use mostly Travellers Cheques in the LOS (and a chunk of "backup cash" in Sterling or Euros, whatever I have at home) just in case - I have not taken credit cards for many many years. (50% I don't trust myself when drunk and 50% I don't trust anyone else, especially if I am away a few months and can't easily track what is happening on my Credit Card Accounts).

For longer trips I then move onto cash transfers to my own bank account in Thailand.

The Rates in Thailand for Thai cash WILL be far better than you can get for cash in Farangland.

The Airport Exchange Booths do have competetive rates (I found this surprising as well), IME the Exchange Booths down Sukhumvit are all pretty much the same on the rates and I just go to whichever one is more conveniant for me - when walking past one I do often look at the exchange rates, even if I do not need to change money at the time.

However as I do spend quite a bit (If I've got it in my pocket I spend it! - this used to work well..........until a few of the bars started giving me credit :() , and I therefore go to the exchange booths every day or two I do like to vary the Booths I use - not much of a security measure I know, but also means I do get the chance to double check that the FX rates are pretty much the same, like I know they are!

One thing I should mention is that of course you must sign the cheques in front of the cashier and your signature should look like your own! Last trip (for the first time after 1 million transactions) I had a couple of T/c's refused because my signatures did not match (shaky hands!) and therefore I could not use them at the other Exchange Booths as they were already signed. (of course I got them cashed / refunded back home no problem) - But I KNEW that they could have been exchanged somewhere in Bangkok if I had really needed to have the cash, even if I took a knock on the rate.

I use £100 AMEX cheques, as someone said 23 baht or so to change them and a good exchange rate I can see, so I don't have to worry about the Credit Card company taking the piss on the exchange rates.

I have never managed to miss out on the 1% commission in the UK - anyone have any pointers for me?? or is this just doable in the USA?

Archived